Home Chat General Chat

Puncture

More of a story and a question.

Went a 30mile+ run today, hit a bloody pothole and got a puncuture. I was livid as I was about 9 mile from home and in the middle of nowhere.

I had to walk most of the way home as I had no money and the mobile wasn't getting a reception.

Neadless to say, I'm shattered but there we go.

Question... do you folks who have been training for years change wheels to a more mountain bike style in the winter? What do you use for storing things like mobile, money, a new tube perhaps??

Cheers

Comments

• woodywoody Posts: 52
    yes, I use cheap shimano r500 or R550 wheels for the winter, and carry tube, tyre levers, park glueless patches, chain quicklink and multitool in a small saddle bag. Never bother wth a phone, not had a need to use one. only ever had to mend punctures and someone elses snaped chain (hence quicklinks)
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Get a saddle pack, fits to your seat tube and saddle rails, I manage to get mobile, spair tube, 2 CO2 cannisters, levers, multitool and a fiver in mine. Or you can use your spare bottle cage and put all your stuff in an empty bottle. I think everyone here has prob learned the hard way ie. punctured miles from home with no stuff to fix it with, no need to change your wheels unless theyre particularly fragile, I use mavic Aksiums for training/commuting theyre the toughest set of wheels Ive ever had and theyre fairly quick and light too.
  • As said above, punctures happens to the best of us. I too learnt the hard work. A few things I always tout with me..

1) mobile phone

2) 20 euro

3) 2 tubes

4) tyre lever

5) mini pump

6) ID

And of course appropriate food and drink.

I would store the phone, money and ID in the back pockets of a jersey or jacket. The tubes and lever in the bag under the seat. pump is attached to bike.

When I go for the long cycles, I also use a top tube bag which is great for storing and accessing food.

I have also used a bum bag - great for space, and I just turn it around so its on the base of my back, and then swivel it round to access.

Never used Co2 cannisters, would'nt make a huge difference to me. after a few forced (!) practices at puncture repair, I got my change over down to 6-7 minutes.

Best of luck!