Home Chat General Chat

Dietry Advice

I'm looking for some help on dietry advice. I tend to watch what I'm eating. Currently I generally eat a low fat yoghurt when I get up before going out a walk with the dog. Then a banana when I get back. About 10am I eat porridge with the white of egg mixed in it for the protein factor and at lunch it will be chicken/rice. I tend to try and stick as much to this as I can.

I'm wary of taking protein supplements as some of them very calorific that it may make me worse. The problem comes when I get home and the wife try's to ply me with all the saturated fat in the world. Where can I get decent dietry advice. what do other people eat? I hate fish so I'm limited to eggs and chicken and soya for protein.

Any help would be good as I'm trying hard to get rid of the excess fat and use winter a good base for the spring.

Cheers

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    All fish? Even in a fish pie? No meat other than chicken? What is your wife trying to feed you with?
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    you wouldn't believe some of the stuff that gets put down to me!!! If I complain to much she might throw it at me though!!!

I used chicken literally, as I do eat red meat but fish is a complete no-no, I really hate it. I really trying to find out what other people do/eat to boost the protein in take.

Also do they go low carb to high protein or high carb to high protein etc
  • AndreAndre Posts: 103
    Have you tried reasoning with her..? Actually, I can imagine how that one would go, so probably best just to leave it!

Are you sure you're not getting enough protein already? The RDA for protein is just 0.8 g/km of bodyweight and even in elite endurance athletes, the benefits of consuming more than 1.8 g/kg aren't exactly proven.

If you're really sure you're not getting enough, consider replacing rice with quinoa (in fact, do it anyway), which not only has a lower GI, but also has a uniquely complete amino acid profile.
    yes but hard to pronounce...
    How about the 'why don't I cook dinner tonight' approach? Then you can concoct a beautifully balanced, tasty meal for you both & start chipping away at the icy stare that a less subtle approach may engender. ( Apologies to your wife who I clearly have never met & am constructing this picture purely for illustrative purposes.)
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    by all means,Britspin, keep constructing;

...... this ought to be great fun (well,defo for us[:D]).
    very funny.....

My point was a serious one, you need to take control of your diet..by whatever means. I am fortunate that Lady Britspin likes pretty much what I like, but I do most of the cooking & buying of the meat/poultry/fish/fruit & veg stuff. I do my own lunches for work, which differs greatly to what Lady B takes. Stuff I like but she does not get eaten when she is not about or I cook 2 different meals, this only amounts to for example I like skate she does not so I had skate for lunch this week, but I have cooked skate for her & other fish for her, not difficult.

I control my breakfast which again differs most of the time, lunch is mine, dinner we share only 2 or 3 times per week at most (Fri, Sat & Sun) due to shifts, yoga, cycling classes, tri wokouts...after these it is mostly boiled eggs & toast! Lady B does her share by the way..great soups & excellent puddings. This Sun she will be cooking the wood pigeon for lunch..altho I guess I will do the prep on Sat for it.
    I appreciate what you are saying, and to be honest in the past few months I feel that made massive in roads into the diet but I still feel that I could do more but I take on board what you are saying Britspin.

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I agree with some of the points the others have mentioned, I think from what your saying Andre is right you seem to be having adequate protein for an endurance athlete.

Now you don't want to be buying into all that atkins get as much protein and as little carbs into your diet as possible, your an endurance athlete, you need the carbs.

From what you have written you seem to have an ok diet, may i suggest that you need to get some more good fats into your diet, oils etc. The best way for this is nuts and seeds.

However i think you are looking at this from slightly the wrong direction, i think at this stage in the off season you shouldnt be too worried about your excess fat and should be concentrating on good quality training, long endurance training requires lots of food! At this stage it is better to over-eat slightly so that your body can recover properly.

I do this, as I am doing a lot more longer endurance and it is far more detrimental to leave your body wanting nutrients after a hard session. With lots of endurance work your body fat will gradually fall anyway.

I start to think about cutting down my body weight in the 2 months pre race season.

I find it helps if you write down all you eat in a diary, sometimes if you have a hectic life it is hard to keep track of what you eat. Don't bother with calorie counting, you undoubtedly wont keep up with it, just have a rough idea of how high in calories different foods are.