Home Chat General Chat

In the pub...

So what are you drinking?

I can't keep drinking Guiness, Doom Bar or lager! Have missed 2 sessions this week due to over indulging, both started as work meetings.

The very thought of drinking coke all night has me vibrating off my seat.

Water? How boring.

Orange and lemonade seems the likely option. Too gay?

So in the festive season, of client and office parties, what are you drinking?

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Sadly since most of my social time is spent with triathletes..no one raises an eyebrow at a non drinking evening, so pressure is not an issue, everyone else knows I train & race so there is less pressure from non tri folk. Personally I usually decide what sort of evening its going to be, based on what I am doing next day. I mentally have a standing 2 pint limit..thats it. There are many non alcoholic friuty/juicy things around at the mo, not too harsh to find an alternative...raspberry j20 last ime I was out. Oh & I only ever drink hand pulled beer, so a nitro pub will never have me drinking.
  • Ah see, there's my problem.

I'm a Triathlete of one.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Drink Leffe or Duvel beer.

Or take the healthiest option(if not polluted with chemicals of course):

Red Wine!

Of course you should keep yourself in control: 3 glasses max. for me; don't want to flush my hard work and lifestyle down the throat for the sake of being a 'normal' drinking person. Can't help it:

I'm a TRIATHLETE![>:]
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Just have a drink anyway if you want too - lifes too short.

If your an elite fine - but really what difference is it going to make.

It's also off season.

We give up a lot to do tri anyway

Had a 10k today - had a cheeky beer last night and got a PB by 90 seconds?

G
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    hehe, i reckon there maybe some weight to that theory, did a duathlon a week ago after a few pints of guinness, went pretty well !
  • benny wrote:
    Drink Leffe or Duvel beer.

?! Not sure about this advice - Duvel beer has 8.5 percent alcohol and Leffe Blonde is 6.5 percent! Eeek!

There was me looking for non alcoholic booze![:D]
    I like 'Kasteelbier', true Belgian brew, without all that chemical stuff in it, topping of at a mere 11°.

You just need to drink 2 to get wasted![;)]

Come to Belgium and I'll give you the tour of beers.[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m8.gif[/image][image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m6.gif[/image]
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    Tiger do a non-alcoholic bottled beer. quite nice.
  • You can normally repair the damage caused by drinking if you get up early enough the next day. Alot of my big rides are done on a sunday which sadly follows a saturday night.

Just get up early enough to rehydrate and get good foods in you.
  • Drinking non alcoholic beer is like having sex with your own sister, tastes the same but you know it ain't right.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    gaterz1981 wrote:

Drinking non alcoholic beer is like having sex with your own sister, tastes the same but you know it ain't right.

last time I checked, drinking non-alcoholic beer wasnt illegal?? Strange analogy...................weirdo!! [:'(]
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    I enjoy the non-alcoholic beers, Ill always have them if available. Very weird analogy.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Drink hard get up and then train hard
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I generally think that if you put the effort then you should be able to have a good few beers. I simply enjoy a beer and I have a high pressure job so I feel its a good way to unwind at the weekend.

I do feel guilty sometimes when I over indulge but at the end of the day if you train hard and put the effort then where's the harm???

Look at Ricky Hatton ( I know he's not a triathlete), he enjoys a good guiness and he's a top athlete.

The way I see it you can perhaps have a good drink at the weekend but as long as you take time away from the booze to allow your body time to rehydrate and repair itself then its fine.

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    Beer probably the main cause of my signature line [:D]

As I'm not ever going to be an elite athlete, I have no intention of cutting out drinking.
  • TeaJayTeaJay Posts: 29
    Friday most weeks are a neutral day....

i play squash at 7.20 till at least 8.30 as nobody ever has the late night friday courts, then to the pub for 9 have a bite to eat and 3 or 4 beers.

a great way to finnish the week. The rule is, no squash = no beer !

just happens the wife is a coach and can run me round the court without too much trouble so i get a full work out then i deserve a beer [:)]

i figure 3 or 4 beers a week is not too bad for a novice and i don;t have that on event weeks anyway !

besides i then get up Sat and ether run or swim the effects off before most people are even awake.

• Hi i've been a tea total all my life so giving it up for tri hasn't (obviously) been a prob for me. when i go out (usually every other weekend) i'll drink mainly cranberry juice-good kidney cleanser and if i'm out after an event,as will be the case next weekend (10k run) i'll prob drink pineapple juice read somewhere that pineapple has bromlin in it which is an anti inflamatory..some posher places either do non alcoholic cocktails (prob to girly though) or you could just get a pint of apple juice (a barman missheard the order a 'pin(t)apple juice please')..! [:)]
  • triadtriad Posts: 62
    happytribunny's comments have made me feel awfully guilty as I enjoyed some red wine at Twickenham on Saturday as England got thrashed by South Africa, which only served well for me to drink more wine :).

Generally I swing from feeling guilty about touching a drop to saying 'what the hell' if I fancy a pint. I only get really annoyed with myself if a beer has prevented me from actually training. That gets my Triahtlon career nowhere. So once and a while I think, go ahead ahead and have a pint if you want one.

But a healthy dose of guilt generally manages to keep me off unecessary excess.
  • gunforhire wrote:

So what are you drinking?

I can't keep drinking Guiness, Doom Bar or lager! Have missed 2 sessions this week due to over indulging, both started as work meetings.

The very thought of drinking coke all night has me vibrating off my seat.

Water? How boring.

Orange and lemonade seems the likely option. Too gay?

So in the festive season, of client and office parties, what are you drinking?

You should be thankful Floyd Mayweather snr isn't your coach!!!! Seriously though have a drink if you want one.
  • I know exactly what your talking about here Gunforhire.... I am very new to Triathlon so yet to really embrace the true mindset required to put training in front of excess alcohol....

Currently when out I am setting myself the 3 pint limit, cider though unfortunately so full of chemicals which I am sure are twice as bad for you - then onto balckcurrent and soda. The real problem comes with will power, the first 3 pints are great, but if the night is going well sometimes I forget the importance of the training session the next day and have quite a few.

Inevitably, the next day training session is knocked on the head and I spend the rest of the day racked with guilt and wishing I had some element of self control. I am certainly not going to be an elite athlete, but in the same breathe, I dont want to simply plod round the course - I am finding it hard to find the correct balance between social life and training.

Good options I have found though are the latest Becks Vier and Stella 4 (I think) only 4% vol and taste pretty good.....

found this on www.coachesinfo.com :

""common tri mistakes:

[ol][*]Using training hard as an excuse to eat and drink whatever you like. What you eat today, swims, cycles and runs tomorrow. Training hard is not an excuse for eating junk. You don't put low-grade fuel or unleaded petrol in a high performance engine or Formula I car. Triathletes are Formula I athletes. Training for a tough demanding activity demands high performance fuel. And remember it's CARBO LOAD NOT GARBO LOAD. ""[/ol]

Maybe an extra motivation to stop at your preset drinking limit, cheers; of for a glass of wine now in front of tv.[8D][:D]
  • MG wrote:
    ORIGINAL: gaterz1981

Drinking non alcoholic beer is like having sex with your own sister, tastes the same but you know it ain't right.

last time I checked, drinking non-alcoholic beer wasnt illegal?? Strange analogy...................weirdo!! [:'(]

Called a joke......... no sense of humour or something????
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Don't worry I drink like a fish in the off season but still go out and train hard. Of course its bad for you and it wastes money and it's full of empty calories so it puts on weight, but if you enjoy drink have one or ten.

In my rowing days I rowed lightweight so I lived half the year as an emaciated monk, the other half I trained hard and played hard, in fact going to a training session after a drinking session brought on some sort of punishment psychology and we pushed ourselves even harder. ps it was my birthday yesterday and I went out and had a right old night, I got up went to work (somewhat fragile) and then I did my training a hard 10kM run. So drink up and get on with it!

• Cheers, me dears![:D]

Some good answers there!