Home Chat General Chat

Headaches

BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
Ok question for you, after the last two triathlons I've finished about an hour or so after the event I start getting a headache, which eventually turns into a real killer requiring me to lie down.

Pre race I ensure my nutrition is good and that I am fully hydrated.

During the race I typically drink about a bottle of SIS Go whilst on the bike (electrolyte drink) and water if on offer during the run.

Post race I drink plenty of fluid plus PSP Rego (about 750ml-1l of fluid)

All of this I have used in training to no ill effect.

The only thing (and I admit this isn't to clever) I can figure that could be causing this is having a few pints. The first time I was drinking on the Friday (had 4-5pints) then took on board plenty of fluid over the next day or so before the race on Sunday. The second time it happened I had three pints on the Saturday (definately not bright; but unavoidable given circumstance [&:]).

The second time the headache was no where near as bad. Obviously this weekend I am going to go t-total (bit rubbish given that my birthday is on the saterday!!) and see what happens and will report back, but if any one has any others ideas please let me know!

Comments

• DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    Bonus

Sounds interesting, your hydration sounds good and the electrolyte levels should be fine as you are using the GO and REGO. Let us know what the result is on Sunday and then go out for the beers. Happy Birthday.

David
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    I've no clue as the biggest cause of headaches is dehydration and you seem to have that base covered. Although I've had some bad ones after drinking Stella in the past it doesn't start 2 days after drinking. If it persists I'd go see the doctor.
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    That was my thinking. Since I lost a lot of weight I expect my body to misfire over some stuff, so once I've eliminated the booze from the equation, if it happens again, off to the docs with me [:'(]
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    Are you replacing enough fluid? i.e. weighing yourself before and after? .. though it sounds like you are...

There is a good article in the current issue of runners world about recovery on so forth...

I haven't thought about weighing in before and after, certainly not after an event as there are no scales to hand, I have some fairly hefty gym sessions where I sweat out a lot and its never been a problem there, just when I've competed and pushed far harder than in my regular training. I;ve done three events so far one without the alcohol in the equation and two with it. Once I rule that out it may have to be something I consider no matter the inconvieniance.
  • Hey,

Along with the hydration (which you have mentioned), there are 2 other things you might want to consider:

1) After intense exercise, it is fairly common to suffer from headaches/migraines - the changes in blood pressure can cause a knock-on effect to the blood vessels in the head - and in turn can help create a headache....contact your GP for this one...

2) You may have a lot of residual tightness and/or imbalances around your upper back, shoulders and neck that is helping to create increased tension in the head....this can increase your chances of headaches occuring....look for a sports massage therapist to check you out and do some releases if needed...

Hope this is helpful!

Michael
    Well I'll hope its the booze! Easiest thing to sort out and the cheapest. Mind you it'll be interesting to see how I go this weekend now that my big toe resembles a plum (bad football tackle). Ended up going to A&E to make sure it wasn't broken and that I could compete on Sunday!

Not that my run time could suffer much more [>:]

Thanks for the heads up though Mike
    Well, having managed to stay t-total for my birthday weekend, I can officially say. Rubbish!

I ran the susssex triathlon today and the headache is back, all be it no where near as bad as it has been, so back to the drawing board.