Home Chat General Chat

Join the club?

After getting hooked on Triathlon this summer, I was wondering just how many of the users of this forum are members of a Tri club, or are the majority of you slogging through the training alone?

Comments

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    I'm tempted but the sessions at my nearest club are at times that would be difficult for me. I may think again in the spring, especially when they restart open water swimming.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    I'm in a club, cause they give lots of benefits: extra (free) pool time openings (6am for example), free tri suit, free race entry on race organised by our club(which is actually the Belgian championship in 2009), free lectures, free training plan, coaches, ......lots more!

Can't buy all that for the amount of the member fee, so would be a shame not to do it!!
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I'm in a cycle club which is a loose arrangement at best although we do wear the same kit and do work for each other. I run with various friends depending on what I want to do and I swim alone. Outside of that I'm a free agent or the one and only member of the Trifrog.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Whats the kit like?
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    All top end!
    Tri suit colours? After all (carbon) red & (frog) green, should never be seen....blimey its only 9.40am & I am coming over all Trinny & Suzanne...must have a lie down.
  • Same problem here.

Would like to join a club mainly for the swimming help. But my local club only does 'swiming for mortals' on a sunday afternoon - which with 2 kids is a complete non starter.

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I'm in an informal swim club - basically a bunch of up to 20 like-minded idiots training together once a week with our ever-patient and wonderful coach, Lucy.

There's a hard core of us who swim together one or two other nights a week (when I'm not injured) and we also do a long ride together on a Sunday in the spring/summer.

Other than that, it's the one-man Bopomofo Tri Club.

Running is always a solitary thing for me: I have a feeling that is why I'm crap at it.

I think I'm in the same position as a lot of others that I simply can't make the training sessions for the local tri club because they're mostly too early in the evenings.

• Got to say I'm quite surprised by the poll.

I genuinely thought that the vast majority would be in a club.[sm=rolleyes.gif]
  • With regards to club times, I'm the opposite to Bopomofo - the nearest clubs to me meet too late for me. I'm usually done spinning / swimming by 7pm. Have just joined a running club to train with over the winter and they don't meet until 7.30 which is taking a bit of adjusting to.
  • I'm really surprised, I thought most folk would be club members.

THis will be my first season in triathlon (also planning a Etap Caledonia, and a late year marathon) and my biggest concern has been open water swims, which obviously makes sense to do as a group, so in order to do them I'll be joining a club at the time but most I just run bike swim on my own, I've got everything I need on the doorstep,

a pool 5mins walk (with lane times that suit) moors and safe cycle lanes taking you to them for bike and parks and golf courses for running over, (even got a new track 1.5miles from the house ) also.........my gym is in the garage, spin bikes, climbers weights treadmill etc etc
    Yes it surprised me too, I had to join once I decided to coach as well, but I hung about with the club for oooh at least 2 years before that, everyone thoght I was a member! I have started to do more 7 more sessions with the club, but work means the evening sessions are out, but I like my own company & am happy to run on my own & seldom get to a swim session (like Bop this is why I am a bit of a s**t swimmer), however I do make a fair few of the social events & enjoy coaching, particularly the juniors.

so club life suits, despite me really not being a club joining person.