Home Chat General Chat

Something to raise the front wheel whilst on the turbo trainer?

Hi,

Due to the dark early evenings I have been spending more time on the turbo trainer. My problem with it is, it feels very unnatural whilst the front wheel is sat on the floor, also hurts my arms after a while. So I'm looking for a good, safe way of raising the front wheel, preferably, the height would be adjustable so I can simulate hills as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• I got this with my Tacx trainer and it seems to do the job...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Tacx_Skyliner_Front_Wheel_Riser_Block/5300005574/

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    A brick
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    or two..
  • Hey,

So with the Cycleops one, what adjusts exactly? It says "3 LEVEL DESIGN LETS YOU SELECT THE LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY". Is two overkill to simulate hills?
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/CycleOps_Riser_Block/5360014942/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Tacx_Skyliner_Front_Wheel_Riser_Block/5300005574/

£15 and £19 quid respectively? To raise a wheel an inch or two off the ground? They're having a giraffe aren't they?

OK - I'll bite... what do they offer that a phone book doesn't?

didds
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    A frogged brick is good for resting your wheel in.
  • Phone book would probably be just as good although I'd be a bit concerned about slippage if I'm hammering it. Have to admit though I'm a sucker for the kit. Became a 'platinum' customer on wiggle just this week, woohoo! Still so much left to buy... My wife is gonna kill me.

As for the levels on the cycleops I've just got the one myself... Maybe combine it with a brick or a phone book? I find just changing the resistance is enough for me, no need to simulate hills.
    A frogged brick
    Language please...

Yes I know, but it made me laugh.
  • It's the indentation in the middle of a house brick...

http://www.coateshomecentre.com.au/tips_tricks/tip_stretcher_or_header.htm

As opposed to...

http://www.hansonbrick.com/en/images/brickSizes/king_brick.gif

I'm not some kind of brick fetishist by the way, just work in the doom-forsaken world of builders merchanting.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Maybe the following books can help you, since lots of people don't seem to understand them:

-Joe Friels triathletes training bible

-Total Immersion!!

Or you could save your previous 220's, adds a cm every month!!!
    Previous post really proves that rest days give you the essential time to do pointless things!![:D][:D]
    Aside from froggin' bricks, plastic doodats & 220 stacks, does propping up front of bike really make any difference as it isn't really the angle of tilt that matters (altho I appreciate it changes relative hip angles etc) its the resistance that counts...
    Its a frogged brick that I use and I've just got a 60Km PB!
    Up the froggin' hill!
  • pacmanpacman Posts: 109
    OK frog I'll bite the brick ............

whats your 60Km PB, which of the stable of steeds were you on, and what was the contour of the course...
    So does treefrog have a treefrogged brick?
    BTW I shall let the obvious 'brick session' jokes go...insert your own here---------.
    Oh please, pretty please ,Britspin.

By all means: the next joke is all yours; don't leave us in agony!!

PS: does raising the rear of the bike make you reach speeds of over a 100k/hour?? Or is there really a reason for this thread to exist besides making jokes over it??[&:]
    Now that the bar ha been raised I'll be BRICKING IT for the next turbo session (which won't be next Thursday as I have to go to a rowing dinner ... & drinks), but I'll have to BUILD up to the next one!
    Just don't go hitting the wall....
  • Can't seem to find any frogged bricks on Wiggle... Searching on brick just seemed to come up with a pair of ladies shoes which is pretty weird. Oh well, I'll give it a go.
    Have a word with Mr Squishy, he might let you look at his Jewson catalogue.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    You might get some funny looks if you turn up at Jewson wanting to buy a single brick...
  • With things as they are, they'd probably be glad of the sale! You could always rob one from your nearest (mothballed) building site.

Britspin, the sheer excitement of knowing that I could finally draw on my years of experience to offer someone some advice can't be put in to words. I have banked that and no amount of ridicule can take it away from me! [:D]
    Not ridicule Mr S, simply pointing a fellow traveller in the direction of a resource they may not have noticed.