Home Chat General Chat

Trail running

Hello all, hope the off-season is going well for everyone!

Whilst up at leeds I trained a bit with some people from the XC team and did lots of trail running and loved it. But now I on my lonesome back in Leicester I am finding it difficult to find trail routes! The only thing I have been doing is cycling up to a park on the north side of the city and running round it for a bit.

So my question is does anyone know of a resource for trail runs, or at least footpaths, I had a look on the ordnance survey but those maps are so hard to read when you've been used to satellite images on google!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Tom

Comments

• BoycieBoycie Posts: 189
    My advice would be to look for a book of walks in your local area, where you can walk you can run. Less helpful advice would be learn to read a map, I find that half the fun is plotting your own route and following it as you go.

David.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    You mean making it up as you go along?
  • ardkeenardkeen Posts: 152
    I was out trail running yesterday coming down a hill, slipped and sprained my right ankle. Not a happy lad today.
  • BoycieBoycie Posts: 189
    If that was aimed at me Britspin then yes, it has been known. Some of my best runs have been stepping out in an area I don't know and following a map. Just along as I have water and some food as they don't always go to plan.
    Yes it was..& I wholeheartedly agree.It is one of the reasons I take running shoes on holiday, cover a good bit of ground, get a training session & find some places of interest to investigate later.
  • RockieRockie Posts: 40
    Yep just pick out a trail on a topo map and go do it, ignore the contours they'll just turn you off. Although a cell phone would come in handy, just in case.
    I adopt the 'I wonder whats down here approach mostly...get the occasional 'GiITORFMYLARND' but mostly OK.
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    Have you looked on Map my Run website to see what's in the area? Might need a bit of digging around, but you never know what will turn up.
    Wheres the fun in that?..Actually might be handy in getting lost..you think your OK with the route..completely different on the ground.