Home Chat General Chat

Cycle Training Question

I know its that time of year when we all get on the turbo, or if your a bit unfortunate not to have a turbo (like me!!) hop on the spin bike. Anyway, planning ahead I'm planning on doing an 85mile road event in may next year, (big hills!) and am looking for some advice with regards putting together a training schedule for this.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, this will be my first longer distance road bike event.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Get a turbo, do 1 hour steady stat once a week then interval session (that suits you) twice a week and on the weekend do or build up to a 4 hour non-stop ride and repeat week after week after week. Then when you are in good shape buy the best bike you can't afford
  • As mentioned above, get time in the saddle. I have done a few 100k's (inc exmoor beast) and couple 100k+ rides. I had no previous experience of big rides, but the more i do them, the more i enjoy and the more i am ready for the torture!!

This winter i try to do one big ride a week (50miles+) and then see how my times compare in next years events. Turbos are good........i sold mine after 3 uses and hit the road again. With right lighting and clothing the winters can be enjoyable
  • Hear you gater1981 hear you..........had the right lighting, and and right clothing but unfortunately that didn't stop me hitting some scottish ice and ending up in a&e on Sunday.

Quite fancy buying a turbo, but am using a spin bike in the garage at the moment.

I hear some praise of it, and some criticism - I guess I'm so new to the bike that it probably doesn't make much of a difference.
  • Get on the turbo and ride for 30 minutes intervals.....1 min hard, 1 min recovery. Will work your fat burning zones and also increase your aerobic capacity to work for longer intervals. I have a power meter on my turbo so i aim to push 300 watts + for a minute then during recovery try and maintain 220 watts.

I have had my power measured over a 30 minute period on a computrainer and average 270watts at the minute. I have improved by over 20 watts in the last 2 months.

Put on some good music, dim the lights and open the wimdows/use a fan and smash it out. Oh and get out on the roads every week for a long fat burner ride (HR no higher than 145-150). This will build your aerobic threshold and make your performance better in the long run. But be disciplined though to stick to HR.
  • Try and get out at the weekend in a group as it makes the long rides much more bearable and you hardly notice that you have done 100k. Slow and steady is best at this time of year so take it easy and have a chat.....
  • skinnybuddah wrote:

Hear  you gater1981 hear you..........had the right lighting, and and right clothing but unfortunately that didn't stop me hitting some scottish ice and ending up in a&e on Sunday.

Quite fancy buying a turbo, but am using a spin bike in the garage at the moment.

I hear some praise of it, and some criticism - I guess I'm so new to the bike that it probably doesn't make much of a difference.

I am sorry about the scottish ice..... i forgot to mention the right tyres also [;)] Some things you cant prepare for i suppose ^^^^

Hope you havent done too much damage and recover quick.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    The only downside of a spin bike is the lack of reproducibility (did I just make that up?). As in a turbo has definite gearing/resistance & feedback. A spin bike has none of these usually, but you can use HR as a guide, cadence counting etc...or attach a basic bike computer to it .