Home Chat General Chat

Itching after swimming

Does anyone else experience itching after a session in the pool? I shower immediately after my swim but my torso seems to itch later on in the day or evening.

Comments

• jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    moisturise! my skin gets really itchty on my legs and for me it's because the chlorine drys out my skin. as long as i mousturise all is well[:)]
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    jon_g wrote:

moisturise! my skin gets really itchty on my legs and for me it's because the chlorine drys out my skin. as long as i mousturise all is well[:)]

Yup, works for me.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Yes, I get very itchy. Swimming dries your skin out, oddly: the chlorine can cause an itchy reaction and the immersion in water can remove oils from your skin.

A generous squirt from a big bottle of E45 Lotion does the trick for me. Cheap, simple, and effective, like me. (Well, 2 out of 3 aint bad).

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Chlorine levels are way too high in British pools!!!

Has to do with prescribed benchmarks recommended by some governmental blablabla.

Belgian chlorine levels are much lower, and I believe lots of other countries' are.

Get out of Britain!!!

PS: or take the much more difficult solution suggested above: moisturize.[:(]
  • AndreAndre Posts: 103
    Benny: they're supposed to be getting better, you know? Nearby they've just built a pool that uses UV light filtering to clean the water and the lack of chemicals actually takes a little getting used too!

I've never experienced any itching, but I'm lucky that my gym keeps the chlorine levels generally quite low - probably because it rarely gets very busy... on ocassion though, they do go overboard and it's not a very pleasant experience.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    That UV thing is interesting; any info about it somewhere??
  • AndreAndre Posts: 103
    Check out http://www.hanovia.com/applications/swimmingpools.aspx and http://www.darouv.co.uk/products/pool-treatment for a little of the science. The latter has a case study on my local pool, but the one I was actually referring to is: http://www.dcleisurecentres.co.uk/Centres/Essex/Braintree+Swimming+Centre/Braintree+Swimming+Centre
  • yeh i have had many experience with many diffrent pools as i have been swimming constantly since about 5!!

the ool near my in the garrison in colchester is very good they treat the water as above! the only problem there is that it is very cold!!

i have swam in pools where they do use high clorine levels and the itching can be very bad also sneezing is an issue!!!
  • My gym uses relatively low levels, however the people who use the pool are generally reasonably affluent adults and are pretty clean-looking. Go to a public pool some time and look at the small and probably incontinent kids, people dropping nasty sticking plasters in the water etc and I would rather have a bit more chlorine to ensure that I don't catch whatever. I use E45 lotion afterwards and it seems to deal with the itch pretty effectively.
  • Thank you one and all. Short term fix: buy some E45 cream, long term fix: move abroad. Not such a bad idea after nearly freezing my giblets off when out running last night.