Home Chat General Chat

Updates Please.

Having almost lost my toes woth frostbite on Sunday..well they got a little cold anyway...I was wondering how all the wounded soldiers on here are fairing with their re hab etc.

Comments

• Training was going really well until the fronts of my shins started aching again after a nice long run on Sunday - hopefully not the dreaded shin splints returning...[:'(]
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    My alcoholism is about to have a relapse tomorrow night, otherwise training is going well
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Fell of the darn turbo, after stockpiling 5 bricks under the front wheel to do some real hill work!!![sm=rolleyes.gif]
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Cancelled my hip surgery as I'm in the process of being made redundant.... thought it would be easier to look for a job if I was able to walk.

On the upside, it stopped hurting so I started gently jogging again. Then running. I'm currently at around 45mins per 10km and totally without pain. I'll get the hip fixed sometime later. At least all the scans etc have been done and paid for.

Physio on my shoulder rotator cuff problems is making some progress. I've started a bit of gentle swimming again and managed to cruise to a relatively pain-free 6:04 in a 400m time trial during the week. Not racing, just taking it easy.

Biggest problem now is general fitness, and that the last 6 months of eating like a triathlete, training like a couch potato and drinking like a thirsty fish have made me really FAT.

• Have been cycling since the close of the season for a good 100 miles a week, usually with a long ride on a saturday, haven't done much swimming as yet, but did a steady 1500m the other day.

Running has been good with a new PB set yesterday for 5km (18 mins 38secs).

Maintaining weight at the minute as eating and drinking too much (Xmas and all). 12 weeks til first duathlon in MK so that will have to be sorted come 1/1/09!!!

As for the feet freezing, yep everytime i go out, nothing seems to work at the minute. Maybe some neoprene booties?!
  • No problem can't be fixed by the age old solution of throwing money at it. Bought some winter cycling boots (northwave - but shimano do them as well) and feet were toastie in the surrey hills at the weekend while all those around were complaining.

Although fingers were freezing.........
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I had the opposite problem, new boots..Shimanos since you didn't ask, & got cold toes mainly I guess because I thought I would be OK leaving overshoes off, as I had Trek Oslo socks & gore socks on, & plenty of room for toes to move. Gloves Craft lobsters fantastic absolute bargain too.
  • My Achilles problem is slowly fading after 9 months. though I haven't started to run on it again properly yet.. the twice I did it flared up again. I'm getting an MRI done to check (on the NHS) there is nothing wrong with it around Xmas, and hopefully running will recommence sometime early next year. This time I'll take it much easier and build the distance back up a lot more progressively no matter how good I feel.

To keep toes warm on the bike I have thermal socks, sealskinz (which I hate as they give me trenchfoot!) but I think a pair of overshoes is probably called for.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Have serious burn wounds at thumb and hand from work (roofing).

Third degree stuff, rest of dead skin was cut away by doctor this morning, but the first one that was cut away 2 days ago is already healing, so lets hope these Two last ones do too!

So, no swimming for me![:(] (infection danger[X(]).

• julesojuleso Posts: 279
    My random transferred-back-pain problem seems to have departed for the moment so I was pleased with a sub-30-min 5k yesterday. It's not fast but that's progress for me because I've had this problem since May.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I have a huge hangover! But I'll run it off tonight