Home Chat General Chat

Lunch time problems!

Afternoon folks,

I'm having problems with eating during the day. really trying to get into a habit of eating well. Breakfasts are solid with a mix of either Natural Yogurt, or eggs for breakfast. Dinner is Meat and veg. Sometimes Pasta if had a long gym session.

Howver lunch is annoying, i dont like to eat bread as it makes me bloated. Salads are just..well its a salad and thats just boring. Any tips about a good, very healthy lunch???

Comments

• AndreAndre Posts: 103
    What about something like cous cous with roasted vegetables? Or a wholewheat wrap with tabbouleh, spinach and chicken? And salads don't have to be boring, try adding things like wild watercress and seeds or nuts, invest in good quality, vine-ripened tomatoes.

Lunch is easily my favourite meal of the day, I take in a least half my daily calories between 12 and 2, and my work mates always have a bit of a giggle over it.

Today I had: club sandwich (definitely not my usual and a bit of treat, really, as it's quite fattening), large fruit salad and natural yoghurt; in a little while I'll have pasta with chicken and peppers in a honey and mustard dressing; I've also got a mixed bag of dried fruit, seeds and nuts to tie me over till I go to the gym.
  • deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    tinned tuna always good - mix with some black olives, boiled egg, green beans (nicoise salad basically) - really tasty
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Fresh tuna better....environmentally, ecologically & tastier..ally.

Salad does not need to be boring, banish iceberg lettuce, no taste, little nutrition, try as mentioned rocket, watercress, frisee, oak leaf lettuce, chinese leaves, bok choi, pak choi etc, bean shoots (grow your own on your windowsill), radish, peppers, beetroot (fresh or pickled) any number of cheeses, cooked meats, pickles, relishes & chutneys or dressings, google salads & see what you get, easy way to get at least your daily 5 if not more.
  • AndreAndre Posts: 103
    Love fresh tuna salad nicoise, have it once every week or other week; probably my favourite meal, actually. As for Britspin's salad suggestions, my mouths literally watering!
    Guess what I am having for dinner?
  • When I get bored with sarnies, I make pasta salads to bring in to work. Chicken (grilled), pine nuts, pesto & peppers is my favourite but you could incorporate tuna, prawns, bacon, tomatoes, sweetcorn, roasted veg etc.
  • Cheers for some tips guys, gonna start making some salads, they actually sound nice when you start to add a few flavours into it. Sushi for lunch today!!!!

• agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    another option is to make some pasta the night before, something like pasta in a tomato sauce and put some tuna in it, then put it in one of those tupperware boxes and take a fork! great especially if you trained at lunch
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Lunch for me, every day, is a Spinach / Rocket / Watercress salad with a lot of good quality tomatoes and cucumber. Also radish, onions whatever is in the fridge. I make it the night before and stick it in a tupperware box. I take a smaller container with either tuna, mayo and a chopped chilli in it, or 100g of feta cheese with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and herbs.

Bung it together at my desk, shake it about a bit and FEAST! I love it!

I also take about 4 bits of fruit a day, and if it is one of my days when I do my lunchtime 8k run then I'll take a slice of brown bread too.

I can't just wolf down a load of sarnies at lunchtime, otherwise I have some sort of blood sugar crash at about 3pm and struggle to stay awake.

While I'm typing.... limit myself to one cup of coffee in the morning, and drink at least 1.5 litres of water to limit the damage done by the awful air-conditioning leaching all the water out of me.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    returned from store an hour ago. Bought some lettuce-ish stuff, tomatoes and chicory. Will try to make something of it[8|].

These things always sound nice, but I'm afraid that they won't give me enough calories/energy to perform my job (which is a really physical one:roof/construction). I think they won't give me enough.

Will try it over the weekend though, cause I realise nutrition is one of my worst disciplines : I eat all I want, fat or not,fried or whatever, chocolate, desserts, not much fruit and veggies. Still I only weigh 62kg, and am very lean/muscly-ish.

There must be a different way[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m5.gif[/image][8|]
    Hey Benny...you still need a protein source with each meal, so you are right..man cannot live by lettuce alone, especially doing a physical job. try to treat you r job as if was a training session which you need to recover from, so refuel with quality proteins with some fat, plenty of carbs but not too much sugar & as much fruit & veg as will fit in.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Thanks for that Brit.

Sorry to have hijacked your thread Stevedavis![&o]
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    If you've access to a microwave then stew (or stew+curry paste :-) with spuds/pasta/rice etc is an option.

If not (ie you are on a building site) then you can get hot food flasks - kind of like a drinks flask but with a wide neck - that you can keep this food hot.

Lots of options then in reality for protein and catrb loaded lunches that are also HOT. Oh - and soups of course (lentil/peral barley/beans etc etc )

didds