Home Chat General Chat

Tri newbe

Welcome!

Sounds like you've got a great fitness background, so you're ahead of the game there.

You're probably going to get lots of advice, so I'll just touch on the running.

First, go and get fitted for a pair of shoes from a 'proper' running shop.

I asked a coach last week, 'if the key to running faster was higher cadence or longer strides?'

He answered by saying, 'how many times did I run a week?'

I said,' 2-3'.

'Try 6' was his reply!

So basically, running a lot![;)]

Seriously, Mike Trees has a 12 week run plan at http://www.tri247.com/article_4322_How+to+break+40+minutes+for+10km.html?region_id=&category=run

Comments

• Hay,

i have just taken up triathalon after a nasty rugby injury where i dislocated my knee and fractured my foot, basically have been playing rugby for about 3 years and reached national standard even tried out for england when i broke myself. so i thought i would take up something a little less risky to my future health.

i have a road bike and am hopefully getting a turbo for christmas but am not so good at running can do 5km in about 25- 30 mins [:(] so is there any advice for a tri newbe?? i am relativly fit and go to the gym at least 2 times a week and sometimes cycle to work (13 miles from my house!) i have signed up for the harwich sprint tri and the masda london tri in august (olympic distance)

is there any advice to help get winter training under way and to keep my fittness up and improve on my runnning??

Cheers in advance
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I have basically very little experience but the biggest thing I have picked up is BRICK training.

Because of the change from cycling to running your muscle will not be ready to run and the expression jelly legs comes to mind.

So a BRICK

Cycle for a few K's then off the bike and run for a few K's then back on the bike and do it again.

if you cant manage it a couple times due to time or what ever just make sure you run straight after every cycle session. Its easier in the gym as the machines are nearly always next to each other.

good luck
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Nothing wrong with a 25 minute 5K, especially if you've not done any running training yet.

I'd second the advice about brick training, it's a very good idea.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    As for base training (which is right now), I'd suggest LSD=Long Slow Distance!

Train at 70-75% effort , increasing week distance with 10%. Concentrate on your weakest discipline, for you: running. Do one swim and cycle session a week minimum(LSD), running rest of sessions.

Be consistent, but better to lose one training when feeling not ok, than losing 2 weeks due to illness; recovery is vital.

Read this forum and ask questions when in doubt, some great people over here (although watch out for Britspin: he'll probably recommend you some red-carbon-very expensive running shoes!!)[;)]

• what type of make of shoes would you recomend? i have a very old pair of asix but they are quite old!![;)]

also would you recomane buying tri bars to fit to my bik or would i be ok with just the drop handels???

[:-]
  • Squareclare, go to a good running shop. What fits me almost certainly won't fit you but a good shop will be able to look at your feet and do a quick analysis of your gait to suggest good options.
    squareclare wrote:

what type of make of shoes would you recomend? i have a very old pair of asix but they are quite old!![;)]

Go to a running shop that does gait analsys and who let's you try out different shoes.

A decent shop will let you run outside for a few minutes with these shoes on . The only way to know is trying. Fit is really important.

If they don't let you do this, or if they sell shoes because they 'loo' great on you, leave that store. They will greatly improve your chance on getting injured , instead of increasing performance and comfort.

Hope this helps!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    When it comes to trainers the above collection of Tri people have it right. Only one thing, if you can deal with the looks you will get, go into the running shop get fitted and make your choice. Then back home and get them cheaper on the internet.

I have never done this but have seen it on the forum. I always find that after the half and hour it takes to do the fitting you kinda feel obliged to part with cash there and then.

Be warned trainer buyin is not a cheap exercise.

The trainers will be worth the money in the end when your joints dont fall apart.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Tri bars i would personally put into the 'later purchases' box, not needed to get going & anoher skill to master whilst trying to also improve run, swim & bike times/technique etc.
  • cheers guys your really helpfull!![:D]

off swimming looking foward to going runnning tomorrow!!

• GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    If you've had injuries you may want to consider going to a physio first.

Most people go when they get injured.

A decent physio can suggest stretches, exercises etc. to ensure you don't.

Took this tip onboard myself when i was looking to up my mileage. Every time i've tried on the past got injured!

Also particularly for running the 10% increase in distance per week is so key.

Also another thing that has worked for me when upping my running is walk for 5 mins to warm up then run for 10mins then walk for 1 min the run 10 and so on. This really works too.

Re trainers speak to the physio most will tell you you don't need fancy trainers after they check you out - marketing ploy to get you to spend more - remember we were created to run and walk bare foot!

G
  • yeh i have a free phisio from my old rugby club (i think they felt guilty) who is really good and he said that cycling actually helps!!! so happy bout that!!!

have another question though in the new year am going to start open water training do i need a wetsuit and if so what kind of price range should i be thinging of and not spend over christmas!!

c
    You should try them before you buy them!!

Most wetsuit salers have test days , ask for that.

Or ask if they rent them, that way you can try them out. Normally at the end of the season they sell these rental suit for really cheap prices, though they've only been worn a few times, mostly by peoples who were very carefull with them!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I would buy now before christmas..08 suits are being reduced to clear for 09 stock..mostly same suits, different color/design etc.