Home Chat General Chat

Ironman Training Plan

Im planning on entering Ironman New Zealand in 2010 to celebrate (or commiserate) my 30th bday! Ive done a few sprint tris and other cycling events but this will be the toughest thing yet.

Ive got time on my hands at the moment, however I was hoping to get an idea of what sort of training I should be doing, I know its going to be a lot but does anyone have any recommendations of training plans?

Comments

• agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    If you fancy a bit of work and planning then Going Long by Joe Friel and Gordon Byrn is really good. There is a book that also has training plans in it i think thats been floating around on the forums for a while though cant remember the name.

First thing to do is make sure your swimming is as efficient as possible because small differences help a lot over 3.8K. Aim for 3 BT (Breakthrough) workouts a week, one in each discipline, building up to around a 6 hour bike, 2 and a half hour run, and 4k swim (doesnt have to be all at once), and then pack your week with sessions around those. Also good to include a core session once a week, which can help avoid injury. Once youre used to the long cycling, add in a run after your BT bike to get used to running after that long in the saddle, though don't take it more than 30mins to avoid injury.
  • AgnessAgness Posts: 27
    Try be iron fit by Don Finks. My boyfriend and I am using it at the mo (on wk4 competative plan) for ironman france. Just joined a tri club & 2 members used it for IM UK with good results. It has 3 plans in it depending how much time you have available. He plans workouts via time in HR zones & not miles. Very easy to follow, however the swim section of it is HARD!

By the way Im not on commission from Don Finks!

• jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    don finks 'be ironfit' is awesome. i used it to train for ironmanuk this year. and now i'm using it to train for ironman france and ironman uk next year[:D]
  • HarriHarri Posts: 40
    Don Finks is great i've got that too and completely agree. Also, i've signed up to Mark Allen online and it's brilliant. Great tailored maintenance and full training programmes and excellent on tap support when you need it.
  • RobRob Posts: 209
    I used 'Start to Finish - 24wks to an endurance triathlon'. Follow the link. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Start-Finish-training-Endurance-Triathlon/dp/1841261025/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228828742&sr=1-6

Gives you advice, tips, & details for every session for the 24wks. Worked for me.