Home Chat General Chat

Tri virgin does Tatton Park

I've signed up for my first sprint in June.

Questions.... am I likely to get anything through the post or do I just turn up? Where can I open swim safely and without hassle, is the sea the only haven? I'm in Merseyside so Wales and the Lake district are a stretch, but one my Mrs is willing to make [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m9.gif[/image].

Comments

• hbhb Posts: 22
    Hi

you should get some sort of confirmation in the SAE that you should have sent then when you get to the tri go and register at least half hour before your event starts and you will be given your race number. dont forget to buy a tri belt
  • I've got the same query. I signed up online for my first tri at southwell, got an e-mail straight away saying thanks for entering, but is that it till i register at the event or should i receive something through the post?

Bring on my first Tri, all this training makes me hungry for racing!!![:)]
  • Salford Quay's do a open water session on a Thursday night which is always well attended. I think it starts around 6:30 ish - the details are always on Manchester Tri Club's Website.

Chester Tri Club do an official training session in the River Dee which probably be nearer for you...

Other than that the only other two I know of are at Boundary Breeze in near Knutsford and the Delf near Chorley.

Hope that helps!

Tatton Park for your first tri... what about Boundary Breeze? Alot cheaper!

• We are hoping to have a couple of open water swims at Tatton Park in the six weeks before the event. Details should be on the web site later this week.

• Here is a link to the site

http://www.tattontriathlon.co.uk
  • millwardpmillwardp Posts: 20
    I'm waiting for Salford registration to open and for Tatton to release dates of open swims. I'm also off to the welsh coast this Easter to give my new wetsuit a try. I am sure it will be lovely and warm :)

P.S. I've also signed up for the Boundary Breeze; odd I didn't notice it when search on Britishtri.org, but found it now.

P.P.S I might be off to Brighton in August too !
  • BryanRBryanR Posts: 2
    I'm having a go at this as my first tri as well. As for open water swimming, why don't you join up with Mersey-Tri? Their open water swims take place in Salthouse Dock, Liverpool every thursday - from 16th April (6.30pm). I think non-club members are welcome to attend. Have a look anyway.

• epacseepacse Posts: 92
    Hi, i've entered the Tatton Tri as well, first ever event!!

I was thinking of joiniing chester Tri, but it's a fear factor of looking an ASS!! Need no help in that field! I did speak to a really helpful guy from a shop in Chester who siad they did Sunday evening swims on the Dee as of Next Month, May, and so i'm going to try and get to one of them! I also have a mate who has a Boat house, and he says from Sandy lane slip to his boat house is 500m, so i'm going to give it a go!

millwardp, if you want to contact me, maybe we can pool resources??

[:)]

Went swimming in Llyn Geirionydd the other week (from the other side where the car park is) [color=#0000ff]http://tinyurl.com/6bctfv[/color]

Very nice, gentle beach but the rocks are a bit...well rocky

I also went swimming off Formby point when the tide was coming in. The beach is very gentle so it takes some distance before you can freely swim; however this makes it feel safer. Sadly I had a fever and sore throat 3 hours after exiting - not sure there are many waterborne bacteria with a 3 hour gestation period though :) [/align] [/align]
    Sad to hear that the Tatton open day is cancelled. I've been waiting for some news on it so I ended up contacting Tatton tri direct...its been cancelled
    There's a contact on the Tatton site and if you can't find it i can give it you for a chap called Dave Quatermain (great name) is organsing an event @ Holmes Chapel for Open Water Swims! He's a lovely guy, i called him in the week, really helpful and said will happily help any novices, like me, to get in the water!

I'm having to miss tonight, have pulled my knee and i'm having physio, GUTTED, but i'd recomend speaking with him!

Top GUY!

[:D] [:D]

millwardp
    keep checking the tatton tri web site for updated details! [:D]

the starters list is on there now with race numbers!

[:D]

Any idea when we get our race packs?

I've noticed that registration is now on the saturday, I was sure it was originally on the sunday morning.
    No, i've still not had anything!!

Starting to concern me slightly

I had dealings with someone from there last week about my entry and they seemed pretty busy with it all, but, did get my problem sorted!!

I still have his number..shall i call him??

I didn't realise when i entered, it's there first year, and so, maybe there will be some technical difficulties!

Yeah, noticed the regsitration has moved to the Sat!

Suits me to be honest, will at least allow a wander around rather than the rush on the day?!

How you finding it all?!

• legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    Hi there Millwardp - thanks for posting that link about the lake - it looks really georgeous! Think I'll give it a try as it's not too far from us, we're in Machynlleth. Hope you get your event sorted and good luck!
    Llyn Geirionydd has a buoy'd off southern area for non motorised use - i.e. the rest of the lake can and is used by Water-skiers and jet skis so make sure you're in the right one.

Re training, I am knackered. The throat/snotty infection I got after Formby is taking the edge of my enthusiasm. Finally got my Mersey tri membership through so hopefully I'll be able to join them next week for a dip in in the dock at liverpool.

Got a tri suit today...I look a proper charlie
    Off to [color=#800080]http://www.tricentral.co.uk/[/color] on Friday to have my swim analysed.

Swimming in a wetsuit (open water) makes one of my shoulders ache (a tired ache rather than overuse ache) and I get knackered much quicker than in the pool.

Going to go to the ows at Salt dock on Wednesday in Liverpool too, anyone know what the process is - turn up and hang around for a bit?
    I'm going to try and get to tat lake, only about an hr form me, and looks lovely!

I've tried my wetsuit in the pool, and by the sounds, it's different in open water!? Just like running on a tread mill and for real hey?!

I'm laid up at the mo, pulled my knee....GUTTED!!!!!!

1 week to my MTB Marathon and 3 to my Tri!!

Good look with your open swims....

Oh yeah, got a Tri Suit to....my girlfriend LOVES it!!

[:@][;)][:D]

Can you swim in Tatton Mere, I assumed they'd be "get orf mouy laaaaand"? National trust don't seem to have a good rep for letting you into their water courses.
    reckon there'd be someone there wiuth one f those big blundbus guns!! [:D]

all you'd see would be a trail of towels legging it acorss the land!!

• 2009 Tatton Park Triathlon now launched - September 19/20th

bookings are already approaching the entries we had in 2008

we have increased capacity but book early to avoid dissapointment

www.tattontriathlon.co.uk

• Photo of the swim entry

[image]local://1829/40087B0BF08E41C09841F7612A88686E.jpg[/image]
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595

Could you give us an insight into the costing of your event, ironmansteve?

£50 is a lot of money to blow in an hour for most people, and 650 entries at £50 is £32,500

So what are the "real" costs of putting on an event - is this a money spinner, break even or loss maker?

Any plans to reduce the cost in the future to improve affordability...?
  • mostly I'll let Steve defend himself, but my £50 last year was good value for money. The organisation was very good, the race pack full of goodies, and the sunshine welcome. If he can guarantee as sunny a day next year, I'll gladly pay more :) As it is, I booked early to avoid disappointment.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    nivagh wrote:

Could you give us an insight into the costing of your event, ironmansteve?

£50 is a lot of money to blow in an hour for most people, and 650 entries at £50 is £32,500

So what are the "real" costs of putting on an event - is this a money spinner, break even or loss maker?

Any plans to reduce the cost in the future to improve affordability...?

I only started this lark last year, but I've found events I did last year have gone up a fair bit this year. This year's Cheshire sprint tri in Nantwich is £42, up at least a fiver. The Deva tri in Chester, which is Olympic distance is £55. I'm looking at spending £250 or so just in entry fees for races this summer. I'm currently entering one a month to spread the pain a bit.