Home Chat General Chat

Lanzarote ironman bike

i'm heading out to lanzarote for the ironman in may and still cannot decide whether to use my tri bike or a road bike. Have read so much conflciting advice that would be good to hear from someone who has done it?

Comments

• ardkeenardkeen Posts: 152
    A friend of mine did it last year, road bike no question, only the pros or elites use tri. Lanz is hilly and windy so disc wheels could be dodgy.
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    If you've got Sky Sports 2 you'll see Sky are screening the Lanzarote Ironman from earlier in the year at the moment a couple of times a week (same show just repeated)
  • CalimaCalima Posts: 35
    You do not mention what gearing you have on either bike, organisers may suggest 53/39-23/11 is OK but depending how strong you are I think 25/12 may be better. Yes LZ IM is hilly, tough & windy, if you are unlucky on race day you may have them all, so whatever you decide just get in enough hill training & you will survive and even possibly enjoy the race.
  • EdstgEdstg Posts: 83
    thanks for that, nice to hear someone say i may actually survive as most people laugh. ANyway i've gone 27.12 on the back of my tri bike, which i am hoping will let me spin up most of the hills. I'm hoping for calm seas and light winds....