Home Chat General Chat

Weights

For anyone doing wt lifting, and free wts just as a comparison what kind of wts are people lifting, eg leg press or extension, lat pull down etc?

Comments

• Does building a garden stone wall count?

i occasionally do weights at the gym and they vary from 20kg to 45kg if i do weights i normally do a round of all the weight machines in the gym which are quite limeted i also do some core work (pilates) and sometimes use small ankle weights and pound weight balls.

to my knoledge its important to do some weight bearing exercises esp for women as it helps prevent things like osteoprosis...
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I seldom take much note of the weight..only in the broadest sense, I mostly work on movements not exercises. Huh? I hear you say..its a poncey way of saying I do not leg press or curl or any isolation exercise, I squat, lunge etc to use groups mimicking natural (sports) movements as much as possible to get the direct transfer from gym to triathlon.
    Cut myself off there..going by feel & current objective, enough reps to maintain technique, once that goes, move on, there is no point training poor technique it will lead to injury.
  • I come from a weightlifting/bodybuilding background and only got into triathlon in september,as obviously weights only training does little for the heart and lungs! And i wanted to get my fitness back to a decent level.

I'm totally hooked on tri now,and have shelved weight training as such, but i do a couple of kettlebell workouts per week.

I feel kettlebell training would be ideal for triathletes as they add all over body strength and conditioning without adding unneccesary bulk, and also give a good cardio workout
    Similar to what I do with dumbells & med balls.
  • ardkeenardkeen Posts: 152
    Those kettlebells look good alright, Ive seen them on TV. I think Britspin has the right idea about mimicking the activity to get the best results. I'm keen to improve my swim so working on upper body by working on large muscle groups rather than specific muscles like weight lifters. Gym is boring anyway only seem to manage once a week. Happytribunny where are you based?
  • hi ardkeen only saw that last question today i'm in the home of the lost sheep tri.