Home Chat General Chat

Sore legs

Hi all

Whilst I have a fair bit of experience in swimming and my biking is ok, I am finding I am struggling on the running. Having grown up with swimming as my sport I think my legs are just not up to the impact of running yet.

The problem I have is I get extremely tight muscles after a run or any worthwhile intensity or length. I have tried to build up the time/distance over a number of weeks working on about 10-15% increase. I did a long run on Sunday of 10 miles at about 9min/mile and this felt fine at the time but yesterday and today I have had problems. Similarly I had issues after the Chilly Duathlon - lasting about a week with almost complete rest (save some semi-brisk walking).

I made sure I had plenty of stretching immediately after the run, when I got home and yesterday - after 20 mins on the turbo to make sure I was not stretching cold. Swimming this morning was OK for the legs too with no discomfort.

I suppose the questions are, do you guys have any suggestions for helping the aching muscles, and would it be ill-advised of me to go for an easy run or bike this afternoon given current soreness?

Comments

• GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Try some compression wear for running in and/or recovery this thread has some suggestions.

http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=20606&mpage=1&key=Compression&#20608

Next thought is agree with the 10% increase per week but you mention you did 10 miles? How quickly have you got to that distance? I've been running on and off for quite a few years and haven't run 10 miles for ages. If i went out and did it out of the blue i'm sure i'd be sore too? Have you made the mistake of glory miles to look good on the training log rather than starting a say 2/3 milles and graduly building up? Remember it's winter and time's on your side.

Other than that...

Something that has worked for me when upping distance is also the run/walk method.

Walk 5 mins to warm up.

Run 10 mins then

Walk for 1 min then run 10 mins walk 1 min and so on really seems to work.

Also...

May want to soeak to a physio are there certain stretches etc. releveant to you you should be doing?

Most people go to the physio after they get injured rather than before to stop themselkves from getting injured!

G
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    Like you, my swimming and cycling are good, the run is always the tough one for me, both in terms of motivating myself to do it and finally admitting that it will never be up to what I can achieve in the other disciplines.

I used to suffer but it's simply a case of getting the miles under your belt, and not too much too soon, also, having bought myself a pair last year compression wear works wonders. I bought 'Skins' and did debate spending a hefty £60, but I have to say, it's probably one of the best £60 that I have ever spent on training gear. My legs feel much fresher, much quicker. Get them on as soon as you've finished and wear them for as long as you can!

Love em!!!!!
  • Hi

my leg pain sounds simmilar to that. had lots of pain earlier this year as i had decided to run a marathon which i kinda did well i ran most of it, what i did find helped alot was joining my local running gang it didn't help to make my legs less sore but i found that running with other people who run at a different speed as me and the chat and crac they have while running had me forget the pain!

found going for a easy swim post run helps losen my legs out. also check if shoes could be problem as well as posture while running.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    How about a little strength training for the legs..which may well benefit your bike & possibly impact the swim, lunges, single leg squats, hamstring & calf work, ankle mobility may be an issue.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Have you been to a running shop and got the correct trainers for your style of running. Before i was fitted with some sucony's I had leg pain and it was all down to the trainers I had putting me in a bad posture.

Also are you putting the correct fuel in the tank to aid recovery?
  • WilkoWilko Posts: 23
    I have to report that another steady half hour on the turbo and stretching last night seems to have done the trick, legs are less sore today.

I am not one for miles, that is just how it ended up. I try to work on time and effort so I have been working from about 15 mins (per run, 4/5 times a week) upwards from beginning of september, but have only just started to introduce longer runs (ie, more than an hour or so) once a week - albeit at a lower perceived effort, making sure I have a recovery day.

The trainers were properly fitted with gait analysis at a reputable dealer so I don't think the problem lies there.

Had some issues with pain on the outside of the knee early on in Sept, and visited a physio, finishing about October. Had a visit the other week with very mild tension in the same place. Sorted with some deep tissue massage and was suggested I may benefit from some sports massage - looking into this now.

Recovery nutrition is around 500ml semi-skimmed milk and a banana immediately after training then a main meal within 2 hours.

I will have to consider the compression kit I think. Do you just put it on after or can you wear while you are training?
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I think most of it has been said, but:

1) Get a good pair of shoes that are right for you - worth doing a gait analysis on the treadmill at a decent shop, or even some of the other techniques to work out if you over/under pronate. Go to a shop to get them rather than risking something that is a bit cheaper but might not be the right size, type etc.

2) Compression socks - works pretty well for me. I suffer from really bad cramp in my calf muscles.. but this hasn't re-occurred (at least not badly!) since using the comp. socks

3) Compression tights - not as noticeable an effect as the socks, but I think they help (I still get sore legs 2 days afterwards - I think my problem is not enough training miles and too many races).

4) Lots of slow/steady runs to build up leg strength. Start of with smaller distances then build up (this is where I am at at the moment.. sort of working..)

5) Gym work on core and leg strength. The more stable/strong your core is, the better you are able to avoid injury etc. etc.

6) As much off-road as you can! Especially some nice hills to run up. Running down might make your legs sore though - lots of extra impact... so be careful with that!

7) Foam Roller for self massage - I've asked Santa for this, so not tried it

8) Sports massage - Never been able to afford enough to notice any real benefits.. but it could work ;-)