Home Chat General Chat

Losing weight

Hey,

One of the key areas I have noticed is that if I lost some more body fat I would probably see the speed gains I'm hoping for without actually concentrating on speed training (does that make sense?).

At present I weigh 62Kg and I am only 5' 35", and thus this puts me on the higher end of my idea weight, I read somewhere about ideal weights for cycling and mine came out at 58Kg. I would tend to agree with this as I defiantly still have my beer belly and moobs! Although they have defiantly reduced over the last year, that was also my first year of tri and regular training.

So I eat very well, avoiding ready meals and processed foods, I've cut out beer, apart from special occasions, I obviously train very regularly, I've started weight training as I read it would help promote fat burning along with the added bonus of strength.

Even though I have noticeable come down in weight I'm find it hard to get below 60Kg's and staying there, I don't really want to get into Calorie counting as I don't really understand it, especially as different brands use different systems to con you into think there product is healthy, plus I make pretty much all my lunches and dinner from scratch, how do you count calories in that!

So I'm looking for advice, can you see anything I should be doing and I am not, or maybe someone could outline the calorie counting system for me. Or am I just being to impatient?

Thanks

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    5' 35''..so nearly eight foot tall then, you are severely underweight then..just kidding.

Any weight loss is always dramatic at first & tapers off, hence people (dieters) fall of the wagon, put it on again, lose it etc etc ad infinitum. So my point being & there is one here...continue as you are & those last stubborn bits may well go.

Having said that, Lady Britspin trains regularly eats well, same (mostly) as me..smaller portions, but got stuck...until we started to eat less pasta/wheat based products, huge difference.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595

Have you tried training before you eat in the morning? Something long and aerobic (turbo, treadmill, exercise bike, etc...) before you eat anything may tend to prioritise the burning of fat.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    what kind of weight training are you doing?

I find the best type for cutting fat and dropping weight is big power moves, such as clean and jerk, squats, deadlifts, bench press.

You should be doing high weight, low reps - region of 6-8. This will promote growth hormone release.

Provided you don't eat like a horse and you still continue your regular tri training you won't put on much bulk. The muscle you do have will become leaner and your strength to weight ratio will go up.

If you can handle the early morning running as nivagh suggested studies have shown that because of the use of fats overnight for fuel, saving the glucose for you're brain, if you go in the morning before you have eaten then you will burn more fat off than you would later in the day.

Personally however I am not a great fan, as I am for the whole body approach to calorie burning, i.e. expenditure outweighing intake. I am also not for the reducing intake side, I like the approach of increasing expenditure, through the increase in metabolism you get from weight training.

I have used this philosophy for the past 2 years to drop my weight to exactly where I want it, with a BF of around 6%. It has improved my running immensely.

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Weight loss is easy if you follow this straight forward equation :

Energy In (food) > Energy Out (work) = Weight Loss

Just exercise more and eat less and put up with the hunger pangs.

• sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    I think what Treefrog means is

Energy In < Energy Out = Weight Loss
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I never quite got the > and < bits ... Which is the spear? Which is the shark? ... but you know what I mean unless some goody PC person takes objection to it.

Reminds me of a pro weight loss friend's lecture whose props are a plastic bag, a tap, and a blade .... put it together yourself or remain fat!

• agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Interesting thing from horizon on weight, which is on iplayer (sorry benny!)
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    With regards to weights it's worth developing muscular endurance - and sound technique - with low weight high reps. Then for strength/size up the weight and lower the rep range. Technique is paramount when using free weights so personally I wouldn't jump into a high weight low rep routine.
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    just to clarify it was body weight and fat, not pumping iron...