Home Chat General Chat

Turbo training in a shed?

Hello All

My lovely wife has asked me very nicely to shift my bike and turbo out of the conservatory, or else! I was wondering if anyone turbo's in a shed, was thinking of buying a new one and getting an electrical supply run to it.

Many thanks

Comments

• Such a shame you cant run an electricity supply from it!!!

• husslerhussler Posts: 237
    Hey, I have been training for a couple of months now in my shed! It has gone from something you keep all your garden equipment in to a full bike store and training room!

Its only an 8x5 too!

I have my frames mounted on the walls with hooks everywhere for wheels, track pump tyres helmet etc and i have also run electricity from the house to it, so now have a double socket and 2 lights mounted on the ceiling.

When its cold i just plug a heater up and run that to warm the place up then turn it off once iv been riding a while.

I am now in the process of double skinning the walls making my own cavity wall insulation in effect.... then put some retractable shelves in and that will house my laptop for films or testing...

Dont forget to but a catch on the inside so you can lock the door from the inside!!! Thus not relaying on the missis to come and unlock the shed after your session lol [:D]

Hope this helps!! If you want any photos i send you some!
  • Crikey Hussler, with a shed like that, who needs a house! How have you done the electrics, I have a patio that might be a pain to lift to run cables under, might end up just running an extension lead to for for starters.....

Would appreciate seeing a couple of photos if you have them.

Cheers
  • AndreAndre Posts: 103
    Definitely like to see some photo's: currently debating installing a shed of similar description, or converting the garage - don't own or use a car and it can't be that much for a bit of brickwork and a double glazed window!
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Get my turbo set up in the garage, which has light, electricity, ventilation if I open the door and/or gate. Have a table there that server as laptop desk to look at dvd's or listen to music , which is really necessary!

Parents in law bought a new tv, so thinking of moving their old one to my garage, which would be great for me, don't know if the lovely wife will like the idea of me spending the evenings in the garage.[>:][:D]

Off to the turbo, since my daughter is asleep, that makes it the perfect time to train now.

PS:I live here for 6 years now(built this house and garage new myself), have 2 cars, but never ever did one of them set tyre in my garage. Suppose I'll keep it that way for as long as possible.[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m6.gif[/image]
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    What you should be doing is. making sheds with loads of mirrors, hair straighteners, A pile of hello magazines, a couple of anoying friends/nieghbours drinking cups of tea.... and chuck the family out in the shed and keep the srious busines in the house... they need far less stuf than us anyway.
    Ill get some pics done at the weekend so ill be home during the day!

Not got the double skinning done yet.... thats my plan over christmas to get done...

Me and my girlfriends Uncle put the electric in ourselves took about 6 hours in total.

We have a patio and slabbed path leading to the shed, i just dug a tunnel under the path from the house to the neighbours wall then run the cable along the base of the garden wall all the way up2 the shed. Ill get some pics of the cable runs and where i dug the tunnel etc. I couldnt take the slabs up as they were concreted in so that took a good couple of hours to do with a trowel LOL

Its quite good, well i like it anyway and keeps me out of trouble on an evening after work! Leaves the missis to watch the soaps and sh*t TV![:D]

Ill post the pics at the weekend!!
  • Liked your idea Barney, mentioned it to the Wife, have been told the swelling should go down in a few days......

Look forward to seeing some pics Hussler

Thanks everyone
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Lol at this thread.

I have 3 sheds .. one of which was my car maintenance shed and it is now used as bike storage and multigym and soon to be turbo trainer if I get round to buying one. The other two sheds are small and are just used to store garden equipment, Beer fridge and fryer etc ... yes I know Beer fridge should really be made redundant ;)

• JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    Just had my shed delivered this morning. My life is now complete....

• al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    I share the garage with the washing machine, tumble dryer and freezer. All works well except when the washing evening coincides with turbo training session. Apart from the noise, the humidity from the tumble dryer makes it feel like mid-summer.

You get some strange looks with the garage door open in mid-winter revealing this bloke dressed in lycra sweating over a bike on a turbo trainer!
  • Know what you mean al_ford, when I was studying for my PT theory exams, I was in the garage, on spinbike memorising bones and muscles on the body, unfortunately it was 6.30am and apparently all the missus could hear was my voice straining shouting out the names of body parts.

I'm sure its no conincidence, but the neighbours have just sold up and moved.
  • Great idea..... get away from the house..... some peace and quite down the end of the garden.....

Shouting out when I'v hit my trainning targets very loudly..... Singing along to what ever is playing on the HI FI.....

Playing the music loud..... Watching videos with out others talking at the most important bits.....

No house phone ringing.....

Sounds like Heaven.....

Any surgestions on the best type of shed to buy?

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]
    Here is a pic of my bike in the shed on the turbo... Its still work in progress but is slowly getting there. This will only let me upload 1 photo at a time so ill do several posts!

There is plenty of room even tho its only an 8x5 shed... least it keeps me out of trouble with the missis! lol[:D]

..... does anyone know why the photos arent showing????

If anyone wants to see the pics then give me your email and ill send them to that!!!
  • Just got my new shed delivered (right in the middle of my tea), looks 'kin massive, hope the rains stops tomorrow, want to build it.......
  • OssyOssy Posts: 22
    If you want shed inspiration this is Dave white's website (guru windsurfer) with photos of his shed in progress - awesome!!

http://www.k-63.com/news/2008/48/index.html
  • Thats bigger than my house!!