Home Chat General Chat

The lonely Triathlete.....

So I live in the lovely Hertfordshire village of Whitwell.

The local B roads are a haven for cyclist of all shapes and sizes as well as many xcountry runners walkers and the odd nordic rollerblading guy (very strange), so heres my question how comes the Triathletes always seem to train alone.

The cyclist are always in big packs! the runners are always at least a twosome! and the walkers appear to be in groups of a thousand or so (or so it seems when there in your way!)

So why o why do the awe-inspiring tri guys and guyesses always seem alone are we really that focused that we dont have time to speak or do we all believe that there is noone alive who can keep up with us ?

When I go to a race no matter what size its always so very friendly, why do we train alone.

All answer and witty replies welcomed. I am sure you all gonna tell me that your all in clubs and I'm the only who trains alone.

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I train both alone and in a group, i think there are benefits to both and it helps having both in your training regime.

I tend to do slower longer stuff with groups, it lessens the boredom considerably.

But breakthrough sessions, particularly in running tend to be alone. The reason for this is while I am not saying that no one can keep pace with me, but if I run in a group there will undoubtedly be slower and faster runners, therefore the chances of training at the exact pace I want is unlikely.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    The company I prefer is solidly singular,totally trustworthy,straight and sincere.

I live in the middle of nowhere,so to train with a group I need to travel,as time is precious and shift work tends to get in the way of meeting a group at a regular time every week,training on my own is the only way of being consistant.If I happen to meet someone else whilst out training I do enjoy the company if they are willing to slow to my pace.
  • I am in a small club in Luton and train as a group weekends.But week days I train on my own.I go up round Hitchin and thru Whitwell at least once a week if you are training week days give me a call.
  • AmazonAmazon Posts: 57
    I'd love to find some nice friendly people to go cycling with, and the odd run here and there - but female road cyclists around me seem few and far between. And when I have gone out with guys on the odd occasion they seem to have taken great pleasure in dropping me!

And so it seems my destiny to be alone... I do talk to my bike though, he doesn't talk back too much, as he knows he'll make me pay dearly up the hills!
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Good question. I do most Winter training in groups - club cycle, small group running, group open water swims (late Spring!!) - but I actually do all my serious training ie race rate/distance stuff on my own.

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    I do a group ride sometimes, but do believe this involves some amount of junk mileage. You can't ride with 20 people at the exact pace at that moment for everyone!

Go for a run with 3 people; you'll need to adapt training start time, pace, distance, heart rates, etc etc

I agrre that training together makes time go by easier and its lots more social, but it won't help you get the results you could have.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I train on my own .. but I am only a beginner and I think the reason for this is that I would slow up any other runners / clyclists etc .. once I am at a fitness level that I can keep up with those in a club I may well do a training session with them.

I do agree with the postsa bove though .. its all about your own pace and your own training regime.

Everybody is at a different level and needs different speeds/efforts etc but ultimately we all need a push every now and then and a group training session can sometimes help.

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Mix of both, I enjoy both, my training alone began more when I was a gym bunny..I was the only one I could rely on to turn up at the right time/place/day etc, triathletes are a bit different, but I still like alone time.
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    I like training alone for all the above reasons (pacing, right heart rate zones, puntuality!) but also as we arent allowed to draft i prefer cycling on my own as it more 'race specific'. also, as i prefer longer distance races i think it's good for me to get used to spending long periods on my ownsome. having said that, i went for a run with some work colleagues and realised i wasnt pushing myself hard enough so i will be going for more regular lunch time runs with them to help up my pace.
  • husslerhussler Posts: 237
    I would say 99% of my training is done alone, I find that training with others goes one way or another... either you end up waiting around for the others as your faster you they end up waiting for you cos they are faster... so it end up not being a productive session.

I know the benefits of group sessions but i honestly prefer to train alone.

Also if you train alone, no one will no your weaknesses or how well or bad your training or what your actually doing to become that racing snake during the season... Tactics and that psycological edge at races that people dont know what will come from you.

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    It does depend who you're training with though.

Over the summer I was having a bit of a problem upping my running distance, so I started training with long distance guys who could do half marathons in 1:10-1:15, and I was a 5k runner! After a few sessions of 12mile intervals etc. I was matching them for pace over that distance.

If you can find some runners who are marginally faster than you I can work wonders!

Training with the elite half-ironman guys tomorrow so I'm in for a beasting!
  • I prefer to run with a partner, as I HATE RUNNING, and find that I can control my pace better when running with somebody else. Plus you can use it to push each other on days when you don't feel like it.

But I prefer to ride on my own. More chance on focusing on the ride and zoning-out on the hills.

Unless cycling to an Ipod count as company.

• starcherstarcher Posts: 126
    So I think it all comes down to a distinct difference between cycling, running etc for fitness or for fun as opposed to a more structured approach to specific training. time hrm zone etc

Thank god I'm not the only self harming, data obsessed pedalhead.

Bring on the hills...