Home Chat General Chat

creatine????

I've heard mixed opinions on creatine and was wondering what the general opinion was? I was thinking of giving it a go while i get the miles in this winter.

I welcome your views,

merry christmas

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    personally for endurance athletes i think creatine is useless as it is designed to help with anaerobic training such as weight training.

Science bit - ATP is used inside the muscle providing a few seconds of muscle contraction, turns into ADP, creatine phosphate within in the muscle gives a phosphate to ADP to make it back into ATP. Thus providing extra seconds of contraction. This is all done anaerobically.

Therefore i think it is not much use for an endurance athlete, if you want my advice save the money and spend it on sacks of porridge and gallons of milk!
  • Thanks for the advice tommi buts its too late because I've already bought some from maximusle who claim it can also benefit endurance athletes and they name cyclist particularly!!! man I'm confused[&:]

It is just strength benefits?

• agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    As far as I remember, it helps explosive power and strength, and creatine helps muscles store more ATP so this can help whenever you put in a sprint or a burst on a hill, but it will only last for about 20s i think
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    The only way I can see it helping cyclists is it will probably help with strength yes.

The main claim of creatine is the increase in muscle mass and so strength, therefore if you are doing heavy weights, which most cyclists will do to increase leg power it will help.

I think it all depends on your body setup, i.e if you are quite lean and could do with some more leg power for the bike then do heavy weight lifting, such as squats, take the creatine, it may help to add some bulk.

The only reservation I have in regards to creatine for triathletes is bulk is not always your friend, it may harm you running.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    i used creatine a lot when I was doing muay thai boxing and I used to notice the difference when I stopped it taking it after the 4 week cycle. 4 weeks on, two weeks off.

However, in my own honest opinion I really felt the stuff made a big difference to my own temper more than anything. I used to get really moody when I was on it, I also used to get massive cramps and the nasua feeling when drinking the bloody stuff as well. I had to mix it into yoghurt or thick milkshakes as its disgusting.

I stopped taking it when I started tri and I feel better for it. I'm with TommiTri. You'll get bigger benefit from porridge, milk, pasta, fish etc than you will from creatine. You need to hammer the stuff into you and not everyone get big benefits from it, most don't notice anything.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Bristol,

I don't buy creatine anymore, I think money can be wasted on other things![:D]

Seriously, since you've already bought it, use it in a specific period. For example, when using the creatine, do a period of specific strengt training: swimming with paddles, hill running, weighted running, riding difficult gears/hills,......

Watch out for injury though!

Best of luck!
  • ardkeenardkeen Posts: 152
    Creatine is crap for endurance, waste of money