Home Chat General Chat

Equipment Help

personally I have a set of look keo classics (£40) on my race bike, shimano spd-rs i think they are on my training bike. I don't think theres a huge need to go for the expensive ones, i think the keo classics are great.

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Need help with selecting some equipment for the coming season.

I've got a budget of roughly £400 to spend this christmas and I'm already plumping for a turbo trainer. I've read a few in 220 and there's been various comments about these in the past, so I can easily get one to suit. However, my bike didn't come with clipless pedals so I'm looking to change those asap. What do you's recommend, I had thought about the Time RXS (red) but I felt they were a bit pricey at £73.10 on wiggle and considering this is my first time at Tri, well opinions please!!! ( I will be buying a new bike next year tho)

Also what type of bike shoes are best, any help on this one would be ace!!

Cheers
  • al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    look keo sprints for me - and in go faster red! about £50 I think
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    shoe wise, if you are going to be doing a few triathlons or duathlons i would definitely have a look at getting tri specific shoes such as the northwave (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Triathlon/10/Northwave_Tribal_Triathlon_Shoes/5360018862/) as tehy will save you time in transition as they only have one big strap and they open up really wide so you can leave them attached to your pedals and put them on on the fly(cycle, not fly[:D]). but make sure to practice this before race day!!
  • husslerhussler Posts: 237
    Hey, seems you have £400, get either the Keo classics or shimano 105's similar design and both as good as each other.

Thats taken up about £50ish, get yourself a pair of Northwave Tribals posted in the reply above! They are awesome shoes:) with the rest of the money get yourself a Turbo trainer.... There are many to choose from, but the more you pay the more they offer... I have a Taxc Flow, it is awesome, reads power, HR, Cadence, Current Speed, Max Speed, Distance, you can also set it up to simulate hills and constant power output etc blah blah blah.... Think you can pick them up for around £230 now. Alot of money but well worth it. You can play with the hill settings to vary the session to relieve boredom, or set it to certain power output and see how long you can ride at that.

You then have prob around £50 to spend on something else!!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Cheers for the info. Heading to the LBS tomorrow to see what I can pick up/order.

coincedently, are triathlon shoes for running and cycling????? daft question I know, but reading 220 they say to get running shoes and bike shoes as the essentials. Is it wiser to get both or just keep to the tri shoe for the mom???
  • al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    running shoes for running & cycling shoes for cycling.

There are tri specific cycling shoes which have a large loop at the heel and a single velcro strap. This makes it easier and quicker to get feet in and out during transition.

You can use running shoes on the bike if you don't use clipless pedals. But I'd recommend getting clipless pedals if you haven't already. Any extra time changing shoes in transition is more than made up for with quicker bike times.
  • Its settled.... I'm gonna quit tri for power lifting until my creatine runs out!