Home Chat General Chat

Motivation...

After having a while of training mainly due to illness I am finding it hard to get back into my training...

This I mainly feel is because when I do train it is going well and therefore I think on those tuff to get out of bed mornings that I don't need to do as much as I am now fit enough to survive London with a reduced training load...

When it is to late to train I am then pissed off with myself for not getting out of bed..

Has anyone any tips to help me out of bed? Evening training is less possible because of homelife.

Comments

• rebborebbo Posts: 58
    my motivation is all about the objectives I have, Loony. My main goal is to beat my wife & two brothers at the south coast tri in september - the more training I do, the more likely I am to win!

Alternatively, you could use a training diary - just writing down what you're going to vs. actually did can help drag you out of bed. I also find that knowing I could swim/cycle/run faster is a good incentive - as a beginner, the improvements I'm seeing now are their own motivation - are you improving?

Or how about a change of activity - mountain biking? Aqua jogging? Circuits? etc.

Sorry for the brain dump - hope something helps!
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    Cheers Rebbo - I am improving and that I think is part of the problem..

My lazy side is saying..."hey Ian just 6 weeks ago you couldn't keep up at club rides now you are keeping up and not left knackered at the end. so backing off abit aint gonna hurt"

Yesterday in the pool the first 300m (after my) were a mare had to stop after each 100m by the end I'd swam 1500m in total with a fairly comfortable 400m rep at the end .. again not long ago that would have been impossible...

My season goals were to finish the oly distance at London.. I am now fairly sure I will beable to achive this so my head is fooking with me..especially cos of the break and my apparent return to form i.e. I wasn't set back as far as I thought...

I think I maybe just need to get into the habbit again or maybe do something else (as you suggest) for a week or two..

• JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    How about moving your bed into the pool. Get one of those floaty beds. Just a matter of rolling out of bed, and off you go.

On a serious note. I tend to now be motivated to get up, and can get out of bed to do training, but if I decide not to train that morning, I struggle like mad to get out of bed.

Looking back at my email, it was about as much help as a parking slot in space.

• WellaWella Posts: 188
    Loony,

We all have low points in training, I think its natural when you are training 6 days out of 7 as you can't feel 100% all the time.

I've written out a training plan on my PC and I highlight each session that I complete. The effect is two-fold, firstly I get peed off when I highlight that I've missed a session for one reason or another and secondly if I do miss a session I can re-work the plan to make sure I get back on track.

I recently reached what I percieved to be a peak in my swim training so I've completely changed the session and found its more interesting and I've improved my time.

I can't speak with great experience but keep going and think of the finish line in August.
    Cheers guys... hopefully I'll get my head around it... I have some hard sessions in the lead up to ironbridge which may be putting me off a bit..

Jason your email I think sums up how I feel abit ... when I want to train I can get up at any hour but when I don't there is no auto trigger to kick me out of bed and get moving regardless..

I will just aft to some how get my bounce around the subject and get going again..maybe its partly cos before my cold I had a good run of weeks training and I need to simply get back into that stride again...

• guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    Leave your curtains open, once the sun comes streaming in you'll want to get up.
  • My beloved bought me a sunrise clock to help in the mornings - excellent as not so grumpy and much more awake by the time the alarm goes off. Not so good in summer but great in winter!

Also printed and put my training programme on the fridge - now everyone knows what I am supposed to be doing and I am somewhat embarrassed if I don't!
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    loon - just a thought - maybe you could meewt up once or twice a week with asomeone say from tri club for a training session - nothing like peer pressure to get you up and out first thing ?????

mad
    Trouble with waking with the sun is that I won't be able to train due to cracked parts of my anatony as a result of my wife venting her anger at being woken up earlier that she is now...

Yeah I need to get to know the club lot more I reckon.. I am only making the bike rides at the moment..