Home Chat General Chat

ex-CFS tri newbie seeks advice

Hi chaps,

this will probably make you laugh in derision, but I wonder if anyone out there has advice on what times are ok for someone who's hoping to start doing tris this summer... with the added complication that I am "recovering" from chronic fatigue syndrome (i.e. it hasn't come back and spoilt things yet, unlike the last 8 years), so am constantly a bit scared to go all out and train my legs off. I'm doing 50 minutes for 2k swim, 45 minutes for 10k run, 1hr for 22-ish km cycle (on a towpath, so lots of pulling over and slowing down), individually. Putting 2 disciplines together makes things slower, and I haven't got up to putting 3 together.

If anyone could suggest times to aim for, I'd be most grateful.

Comments

• I came across a triathlon performance pedictor today on:

http://www.wearetriathlon.co.uk/pp/performance-predictor.html

I typed my times in and it's pretty accurate, but maybe that's just for me though.

The drop downs aren't too flexible so I haven't typed yours in but have a go.

Phil
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    My advice would be not to worry about times , just go out and enjoy, but that is easier said than done.

For your first tri why dont you enter a pool swim triathlon with staggered starts ,that way if you are concerned about your times and performance you could have completed the race, showered and changed before other competitors have even started their race.

It is dificult to predict times for races as distances arent 100% accurate from one race to another.

A better question would probably be "what is the best triathlon suitable for begginers" somewhere close to you.

The first Triathlon is always a bit nerve racking but once you have that out of the way you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Good Luck
  • al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    Bathtub - Fine words of wisdom indeed.

Go out, enjoy it, no-one knows or cares where you finish. You'll love it and then you can start thinking times and distance.

Don't put too much pressure on your finishing time, every tri is different with variations in distance, transition facilities, weather, how you feel, if you've had breakfast, how much go faster red you're wearing etc... etc... (I did an olympic distance last year and was thrilled with my time until I was told the bike was only 36km and the run 8.6km).