Home Chat General Chat

Bike repairing

Just a question on which manuals to get for bike repairs???

I have a giant SCR 4.0 which needs chainring, cassette and chain. I am all for LBS repairs but the cost to replace the current crap drivetrain with new crap drivetrain is £190 give or take a few quid.

But i have located parts for £70.....i am a motor technician so am use to the tools but i want to do a good job and hopefully not create any in the process. The reason why my bike is in bike shop in first place is because i had a spoke snap and the front brake fixings had seized (so i couldn't fit the full guards i purchased whilst getting wheel repaired.)

So what workshop books do you own to help with replacing items such as these??

Comments

• agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    i've got the park big blue book which is very detailed, and also got guy andrews road bike maintenance book, which has some really good photos to help explain it
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Not sure how competant you are mechanically but this site has good hints and videos.

http://bicycletutor.com/
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I've got zinn and the art of triathlon bikes, has got me through everything so far!
  • Bikes are pretty easy to fix/repair with the minimum set of tools.

I picked up all the info I needed on the net to build a MTB, the only things I got the LBS to do was fit the headset.

• have invested in the tools required to do me drivetrain and some knowledge now. Should be easy enough me thinks.
  • Took about 30mins to fit new cassette, chain, chainrings and crank and bottom bracket.

Looks as though a few minor tweaks on the gears will be needed now it has new parts but thats a nob for another day me thinks!