Home Chat General Chat

Really need to Turbo

ok, so I may be one of the only cyclists I know who loves the turbo, but I really do think it is a great bit of kit and has improved my time trial performance no end.

But I'm having a few problems.

Problem 1 - I have a cyclops mag trainer which was great last year when I lived in a building with concrete floors, but now I live in a small house with wooden boards the noise/vibration is intolerable. I'm not sure how I can reduce the noise as I already have a mat and a specific tyre any ideas?.

So I may get a new turbo, are fluid/gel ones really much quieter? any recommendations around the 150 mark?

Problem 2 - I have two bikes, a crappy training road bike and a shiney TT bike. I'm fed up with changing the tyre on the road bike so I can put it on the turbo as I use it outside so often. So whats the best solution -

A) I put the carbon framed TT bike into the turbo, will this damage the frame at all?

B) get myself a new wheel which so I have one rear wheel for the bike and one for the turbo, bearing in mind that my road bike is 8spd!

I think that is all for now! thanks for any help!

Comments

• sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    or buy a cheap bike for the turbo!
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Hey ... I love the turbo also especially after I have done the session and my most favourite sessions are the ones where I've beaten my PB's.

Happy Christmas.

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    One thing to do is lift the boards up and put insulation foam/glass wool between the joists. Hold the insulation in place with netlon and then put down 18mm marine grade plywood. The foam/glass wool will subdue the noise and because the 18mm ply is one big section you are spreading the noise through this.

Alternatively, try and fill with polystyrene boards, layered up as this will kill the noise. Typically a boards like styrofoam should do the trick.

You only need to change area where the turbo is so the overall cost will be about £40 max and is very easy to do. Otherwise more expensive turbos' etc are the key.

I'm a surveyor by the way!