Home Chat General Chat

Wetsuit - how tight?

I've bought a wetsuit as I'm entering at least one open water race this year, probably two.

I bought it online, I check all the measurements in the size guide and was sure i'd picked the right size.

It's arrived and it is very tight. I know it's meant to be tight, but I'm wondering if it's too tight?

I can get it on allright, and move fine when it's on, but I can't pull the zip up, someone else has to do that. I can get the zip down fine and get it off OK.

It does make my stomach look rather large. [:D] I'm hoping that's just the effects of Christmas and I can lose a bit of weight there which may help.

Anyway, I can't decide whether it's so tight I need to send it back and get the bigger size. Any thoughts appreciated!

Comments

• AndreAndre Posts: 103
    As long as there's no restriction in the movement of your arms and shoulder, and as long as there's no other uncomfortable rubbing, then the tighter the better. Going larger may lead to the suit being too loose in certain places (underarms/lower back/crotch) allowing water to collect, creating additional drag and slowing you through the water. Don't worry about getting someone else to help you put it on, it's a good excuse to get talking to another competitor - just be sure you really can get it off without asking for help!
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    agreed with andres comments, also remember the time of year it is and if you are anything like the rest of us you will lose a few pounds over the coming weeks after putting a bit on over the festive season.

In regards to fitting, it should be tight fitting, but as andre says the indicator is in the arm movement which should be unrestricted. I can't zip my wetsuit up, but i have no restriction on arm movement.

As andre said it is not a good idea to go bigger. A wetsuit works by trapping a thin layer of water between the suit and skin, and heating it up. If the wetsuit is too big it will allow too much flow of new water coming in, which will hinder the heating and you will freeze!

Also, make sure you have it in the correct place up in the crotch etc, otherwise the upper body will be too tight.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Sounds like it will be allright, it should be very tight.

Zipping up issue is not a problem; look around at an open water race: more then half of the people need help to zip it.

One small tip: after zipping, put the zip cord inside the suit through the neck. Seems like quite a few people find it usefull to unzip others swimming in front of them. Looks like a trend last season, suppose its mainly people who didn't train enough that use this technique[:'(]
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Thanks for the reassurances, I will keep it!
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    What about the pee test?

If you can't pee in it when your wearing it (if you had too) its probably too tight?

G