Home Chat General Chat

Training hours and young people

Hi

I am 17 and have been training about 13-15hrs a week since september and have seen huge gains in fittness, this past week my mum has told i need to get a coach and he has written me a plan where i training 8-10hrs a week do you think this is a good idea or should i go back to my own training plan?

Andy

Comments

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    ask your coach about it, maybe he could incorporate those extra hours somewhere!,

On the other hand, quality over quantity. Doing Twenty hours of 'wrong' training might be less successfull then 15 hours of 'correct' training.[8|][:)]
  • HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    You asked for advice & got it. If the coach was qualified take it.

Quality training is better than quantity. Recovery is important. More important is that young bodies are still developing and as such are highly liable to long term strains & injuries. I've come across too many "great" runners who while still at school beat Seb Coe & Steve Ovett to every age group title going. While Seb & Steve were breaking world records week after week & bringing home Olympic medals their contemporaries were injured, putting on weight & trying to get back into running. Each new attempt resulting in further breakdown & failure.

Training should be progressive & build gradually over time. As a rule of thumb it takes around 10 years of consistent, quality (not quantity) training to reach your peak. What's the rush? In 10 years you'll be 27 which is the time that most sports stars start delivering the goods.