Home Chat General Chat

Well I have entered my first sprint and only 4.5 months to train.

Happy New year to all.

Just thought I would tell the world that I have finally entered my first sprint.

I am doing the wellington sprint in somerset in May. Not long to train as I was looking to do the novice but a slight mental impulse made me tick the sprint. Oh well you got to be into to experience the whole TRI thing hey!!!!

Comments

• jacjac Posts: 452
    Nice one!

Have you got a training plan, coaching sorted or part of a club??

I'm working off Joe Friel's templates in his training bible..so far so good!

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    That's loads of time get at it!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Hay Jac

I dont have a training bible and work keeps me pretty flat out. i intend to train myself and as you might say SUCK IT AND SEE!

I am already fairly fit and have done a few off road runs upto 10 miles. Its the swim for me that needs some work. Maybe a lot on the bike to.

• jacjac Posts: 452
    My only advice - and I'm very new to tri - would be to have some sort of structure to your training.

Best of luck. And if you look up Joe Friel's triathlon training bible it's well worth a read.

Most of us are in a similar situation, busy and want to compete! If you can join a club -do so - as a training plan/programme that will suit you will "happen" (others will fit in around you and vice-versa) also you'll get carried along and get a wealth of advice & support.

If a club is out of the question (or you're a bit of a free agent - like me!) then you will have to formulate your own programme and this will mean sacrifice and discomfort; the amount of which depends on your aspirations and what you want.

I generally divide the year into three parts - preparation (long slow distance, building up base fitness and mental hardness), conditioning (taioring your training to competition, generally faster event specific and loads of intervals) and competition (event specific distances & bricks and skill s training) and the timing of these divisions depend on your priority event.

I tend to base my training around 3-4 weekly key sessions 1 in each of run & swim and 2 on cycling (50% of tri time is on the bike). However this is for me and its not perfect. Good luck

Hello Treefrog

I have looked into clubs locally, my nearest one is not near at all.

I am looking at around 3 maybe four sessions a week.

1. Running - Building on usual 5-6 k

2. Swim - looking to extend any swim time to an hour interval and stamina.

3. Bike - I tend to get around 25-30 k a ride. I will extend as the quads build up.

4. Core - Resistance and weight training for about 20 mins a couple times a week.

I am going to try and squeeze in an early morning swim to add to the sessions. It appears like its around 4 and half hours a week. I need to extend the time slowly I think along with the distance.

I always through a brick in each week after the cycle.

Cheers
  • I did the novice event last year and i am doing the sprint this year.

I will be cycle and run training but due to tattoo sessions i wont get any pool sessions before the event now.... so i will be the red faced one in the slow lane!!!

Where are you based to?
  • The best prep i did was practicing how i was going to lay my kit out, what kit, how to put it on (order) and invest in a number belt and elastic laces. I wont be sporting lastic laces this year as i have foot troubles

I think (with respect etc) you need to do a bit more!

On a regular WEEKLY basis build up to and maintain 1 Hour running at a, 4 hours cycling, and 1 hour swimming - all NON-STOP and all at a reasonable pace. All this is possible and the reasonable pace depends on you. Generally reasonable means most of it slightly uncomfortable and last quarter quite or very uncomfortable. Don't forget that as you get fitter and more experienced you have to raise the bar, therfore log and time those key sessions. Also test yourself every so often!

This is really the advantage of a training partner, especially if you do not have a background in endurance sport. People without this background do not know just what is possible if you push yourself, nor do they realise when to back off, and also they tend not to push themselves to vomiting/fainting/extreme pain ("enter the scary room")

• I dont do enough training.

Commute everyday 10-15 miles a day. some rides on the odd weekend 30-50. I run 6 miles on a wednesday....thats it.

i cant swim for an hour. The most i have swam in one go is 330m....which is why i entered a 400m event!!???

I did log a 46min 10k on boxing day though [:)]
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    You've only swum 330m?[X(][X(][X(]

Just kidding; 4 months is a long time left to get ready. Build up wisely and be confident.

As treefrog stated: you can do more than you think.

The mind is a limiter,think about that. Say it to yourself when it gets tough andpush yourself through that barrier!

THE MIND IS THE LIMITER!!!
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    I must say I'm finding this thread really useful - I too have done that new-year-enter-first-triathlon thing - I entered Blenheim sprint and I've got 550m to add to my maximum length ever swum....at least the pool is a nice warm place at this time of year.
    Hi Gaterz

I am based in STREET, Somerset.

Was the novice good? Was it well run?
    I gather the scary room has a door much like Vallhala and once in you know its the right way!

So the mind is the limiter! I think my mind has a govenor which only lets me get to 2/3 trottle at the mo!!

I hear what you are saying Benny and will take it on board! I will now always think of you just before I vomit on nice running shoes!!

It has to said joking aside that my comitment to this 100% and I will be fit and I will complete, I wont quite!!!
  • Run really well, i took advantage of the training day (settled my nerves) I was 3rd senior male and 6th overall. But that was just because my bike time carried me through a poor ish swim and average run. I doubt i will hit the top half in the sprint!! some right nutters do it. I swear they drive the bike section.

I cant get any swim time as i will be sitting 3 sessions under the needle now (tattoo needle that is)

At least everyone can read my skin whilst i gently swim up and down.
  • I am based in north petherton. [;)]
  • Think 300m is bad, I couldn't manage more than 50m when I started, I just floundered about like a slightly irate humpback whale. A year or so on I'm much better, a bit like a calm, purposeful (porpoiseful?) killer whale.

But on Blinkybaz question, I guess the answer is that there isn't really a prescription for how far/much/often you should swim/bike/run (although as has been said elsewhere I've found Joe Friel's book to be really useful). My friend who has roped me into preparing for my first triathlon at this year's London Tri has done a lot of events and says his goal is always to be able to complete double the distance of an individual event in training a reasonable time before the main race period of the season. So, for example, he likes to know he can run 20km before entering an Olympic length distance. I think that's going to be roughly my goal too.

Ultimately though it's a matter of what your personal targets are. If you are aiming to put a really competitive time on the board then you have to train a lot, if you're looking to set yourself a benchmark for future development and just enjoy the race then you don't have to push as hard. If time is an issue remember that intensity and effectiveness can be as important as quantity. Plan out a regular regime and always have it clear in your mind what the purpose of the time you have allocated is. Mostly enjoy it. I have done a few events now, mainly a few 5km and 10km runs and a few swim meets (cycling is proving more of a challenge, had to spend a bit of time learning to ride a bike. Whale's aren't good with clipless pedals, it's hard with the flippers :p) and they're great, but to be honest the thing that gives me the most pleasure is the regular and constant development that you register in training sessions; get into that groove and you'll be in great shape for your sprint. It's a really addictive lifestyle to get into and I'm sure you'll love it.

N

Got off my fat ass last night and did jour 20 of 5-a-side football and then 2 hours later did a 45 min swim. I thought I would swim the 400 m I need to do for the swim. i did a 9 min 15 second, I was very happy with that.

A bit tight in the legs today and nackered but mentally I feel great!!!!

Gaterz I lived in Bridgwater for awhile about 5 yhears ago and work in the local College!
  • Maybe you can teach me to swim!!!

I will just hope it will all come together on the day. Hoping to take my biking further this year and improve running. If i could swim i would consider a 1/2 ironman.

Maybe next year [:)]
    My swimming is not great it takes too many strokes to do a length and I am offically nackered after 400.

Maybe see you in Wellington in May?
  • I'll be there, i may also be taking novices out around the bike route on the training day.
    Cool! I have asked to go on the sprint training day!

See you there!