Home Chat General Chat

More Beginner Advice

I've been wanting to get into triathlon for a little while and have decided this year I will enter some sprint events culminating in an olympic distance towards the end of the year. I'm a fairly regular cyclist (road & mountain) and have done some running - half marathons (Cardiff, Chester) and some off road 10ks (suicide 6). Swimming's OK, but find it a bit boring. My problem is, I'm not really a 'joiner' so am not beating the door down to my local club. I was set to buy Joe Friel's training bible but read some comments that have put me off. Can you give me some tips on getting started, books to read, websites to visit, training tips etc, etc....

Oh, and Happy New Year!

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Welcome to the fold!!

There are some good tips on Utube for transition and also so interesting training ideas. Its worth a look even to if only to flem sime info.

Have you tried Brick training yet? Its cycle and run just like in the tri. you will find your muscles needed for running will be asleep while cycling and give you jelly legs when you start to run. I highly recommend some BRICKS. I do at leat 3k after any bike training. If you can do bike run bike run in one session it will help you greatly.

Do something like 5k bike 2k run 5k bike 2k run.

• jacjac Posts: 452
    Hey Mog,

I've got Joe Friel's training bible and have really enjoyed working with it.

I took about two weeks out (no training whatsoever!) just to read it, then formulated my training plan for the year. Obviously it's subject to change but I'm liking it at the mo.

I'm back in reading it most days - whether it be making sure I get the right HR, technique, whatever.

• MogMog Posts: 3
    Thanks both. Be interested to hear if anyone else has read this book and found it useful? Maybe the other comments I read are off-track? I also meant to ask for time management tips. I'm probably in the same boat as many others - new baby, dog, wife, work, chores, etc.. The dog's not too bad - she comes running or mountain biking with me, but I'm struggling to find time - not to mention energy & motivation - so I'm not abandoning the new family, that's why I'm keen to get a decent plan to keep me 'in the zone.' I figure if we all know when I want to be out doing something it might be easier to get on and do it??
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Mog,

Like you I've got baby, wife, work and chores, which is why I wanted to try and get what training I do right.

The book helps you to choose your yearly hours, which can then be broken down into weekly and daily hours and how best to fit in the various aspects of multisport - without overtraining!

Without it I guess I would have cobbled something together from tips and stuff off here and from mates who do triathlons.

But to have templates set out for you and advice on how to fill in the gaps is working well for me.

I got mine off Amazon for about £15 and see it as money well spent.

Considering the amount you might spend on other tri gear it's not a major investment. You could always return it if you don't like it.