Home Chat General Chat

Road Bike - Garage Storage

Hi all!

my first road/tri bike is on order - yippeeee - and as its only a few days away it dawned on me that I need to store it somewhere! ;)

The problem/concern is that I keep our tumble dryer in the garage and it becomes very humid in there. Fungus stuff has been known take hold on some material that I have had to throw away.

My clunky mountain bike doesnt seem to be affected (well no growth) but would those hot/cold/humid condisions be really bad for my shiny new bike or components?

This is the bike in question:

Thanks for your replies!

Comments

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Bed room?

Master Bed Room??

Living room???

Just some of the best places to store it[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m8.gif[/image]
  • Bedroom - the wife will KILL ME

Living Room - the kids will kill the bike!!! :)

I take it from yuor response that you imagine the warm/cold/humid condition to be death to bike?
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Just saying:

The bike will treat you, like you treat the bike.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Looking at it logically, i can't see how fungus or mould could grow on metal or carbon? Even if it did, you will of course (!) be thoroughly cleaning your bike weekly anyway, which would clean off any strange growth.

High temperatures and humidity will accelerate rusting of any steel parts, regular cleaning (and drying) should deal with that I would have thought.

If your tumble dryer is not already a condenser dryer you could buy one of these:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wenko-Wenselaar-GmbH-CO-KG/dp/B000M381CO

which will turn it into one or get a proper vent fitted into an outside wall of the garage. Or buy a dehumidifier. Getting rid of the humid air one way or another would solve the bike worries and any other problems with storing other stuff too.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I've had mould grow on a frame - because it was splattered with energy drink and not cleaned properly. I would not be concerned with the mould but the humid condition are not ideal as this could lead to corrosion and discolouration of components, I've had chrome forks on a retired frame develop speckles of rust and all I can put it down to was storage in a humid atmosphere.

Make sure the area is well aired; perhaps put a vent in the door?
  • I'm overseas for a while and my road bike's being kept in a similar sounding garage in the UK. I was home over Christmas and looked at it (and rode it) for the first time since August - I was terrified that it would have moulded or rusted or caught some other horrible affliction but it was as clean, oiled and pristine as the day I stored it. It's carbon, but even the metal bits had no sign of damage (except for a couple of screw tops that were slightly rusted - i.e. the ones that hold on the water bottle frames and the one at the top of the front post. No guarantee, but if you clean the bike, oil it where it needs to be oiled, and check it every so often then you should be fine.