Home Chat General Chat

making own bread; Power ingredients??

bennybenny Posts: 1,314
Maybe you could bake 3 loafs back to back and time yourself in transition from one loaf to another.

Tri loaf thon?

G

Comments

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Just bought a 'bake your own bread' machine thing.Baked a bread this morning (well, actually I put the all-in mix together with water in the machine and pushed start). Very proud of that achievement, round of applause appreciated. lol

Nowhere's the real question: Is there anyone on the forum who does this baking himself too (I mean filling and pushing buttons[:D]).

What do you/ could be added in it to make it a superb 'triathlete's bread'?

PS: I know it should be red when it comes out, containing carbon and porridge in large quantities, absolutely hair-free (yes, please), and fully aerodynamically shaped! (Yes, Britspin and Bopo, I know I shouldn't reveal all our secrets to the newbies[:(]).

But besides that, any other suggestions?
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Ditch the breadmaker and make it yourself the old-fashioned way.

The kneading is an excellent mini-workout!

Can you cut the flour with oats for a porridge loaf?

• Benny, I know that you are racing toward your 2000th post on this site, but is baking bread on a triathlon forum. Oh by the way, did you know that if you spray your shirts with some water, before ironing - it is much easier??

Bake on

Just though that nutrition was part of traithlon as well, my mistake I guess[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m5.gif[/image]

By the way, don't laugh with the ironing, since I'm already home for 3.5 weeks now due to bad weather, that might be the next skill to learn for me[8|].

On with the baking then!!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Making own malt loaf..mmmmm & can put in all sorts of stuff.....
  • OssyOssy Posts: 22
    Waitrose strong wholemeal canadian bread flour (slightly more expensive but you get a much better loaf - think of an apollo road bike versus a cervelo tri one - the apollo gets the job done but with time you learn to appreciate the qualities of the cervelo!!!!).

Also you can cut down on the sugar and salt and use olive oil instead of butter. Happpy experimenting!
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    i know jack about baking, or about bread makers.

But how about nuts dried fruit etc. a bit like malt loaf i guess.

I make my own energy bars out of cashew nuts, raisins, oats and honey mostly, so maybe a bread version of this?

I was going to say things like glutamine, which i personally think is one of the best supplements you can buy for endurance sport as it floods the blood with the most abundant amino acid in muscle and has a fair amount of research showing a reduction in muscle damage during hard workouts enhancing recovery post-workout and it can also prevent the dip in immunity following a hard workout.

BUT I believe the kind of temperatures within the bread maker may denature the protein, so changing its structure and making it useless, i am not certain on this though.
    @ Ossy: I added a little olive oil in the first one, one can't go wrong with that I guess.

About the nuts and dried fruit, Tommi, going to experiment with that soon.

I was aiming more to get posts like the second part of yours. I thought about adding protein powder, but I think the heat would...(well, like you said about the glutamine), not sure though.

Is there anyone who knows this for sure?

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    This Christmas, Mrs. H. has been baking Cranberry bread. Very nice it is too. I tend not to eat that much bread though.

We have a Panasonic something or other bread maker.. which has a handy nut/fruit dispenser. The key thing is that the nuts/fruit (my personal favourite is a bit spicy fruity bun loaf. Lovely) must be added after the dough has been mixed - or else it all goes wrong. So, if you want to make fruity loafs, and you will do, either a bit of manual intervention is required, or you want a bread maker with a separate dispenser.

Agree with the other comments - you can really cut down on the salt and sugar that most of the recipes have - with out detriment to the loaf (a bit of sugar or something sweet is needed to feed the yeast, the salt does something to the protein or starch or something in the flour to help make it nice and elastic or doughy). Experimentation is key.
    I thought the jury was still out on glutamine..in bread or otherwise.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    yeh I guess the jury is still out, however a couple of studies in the last year or so have shown that glutamine supplementation reduced the build up of ammonia in the blood during long strenuous exercise, which has been linked to fatigue. And another one showed an increase in nasal IgA as a result of supplementation which is one the key areas in preventing respiratory tract infections.

I don't think all the evidence is solid, but i think it has more going for it on the endurance side than creatine does, I only take it because I got a load cheap!
    I was actually thinking in the direction of adding some energy drink or electrolyte in it (perhaps in powder form).

For instance on the long bike, you get some solid intake (the bread), electrolyte supply (the drink/powder in it) or energy supply. Just put fresh water in the Camelback and off you go!

Probably a bit fussy, not??

Would it be wise to include fruit like all kind of berries,....
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    What about EPO!
    I told you before , you should PM me about that!!!

(by the way, I heard CERA is ........, sorry, PM me!!).[:)]
    I thought that the jury was out on electrolyte supplementation.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595

You should maybe check what temperature your breadmaker cooks at and whether that's going to destroy the ingredients you're thinking about putting in....