Home Chat General Chat

TRI kit - where from?

Hello All

I thought as a new TRI GUY it would be handy to know where other athletes get their kit from.

I then thought this would help all newbies!

So can we all list where you recomend top get your kit from?

It would be good if you could quote the location if its a shop or address if an online.

For me at the mo its

TRI - UK (Yeovil, Somerset) for cloths and accessories.

Cant comment on the bike as it just a cheap Viking from the internet.

Goggles from MIKES DIVE on EBAY.co.uk.

Cycling Jacket from ALDI supermarket. Its Craine, Itsa actually very good.

Cycle computer with heart rate strap from LIDL super market. (GOT TO LOVE THE GERMAN SUPER MARKETS)

I hope this useful, theres so much stuff to buy and I have read some horror stories about postage and items not turning up from some websites!

Comments

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    I've used Wiggle online who seem very good and usually well recommended. Possibly not always cheapest.

I got a bargain deal on an Orca trisuit at Sigma Sports. It's the only thing I've bought from them, just becuase it was cheap, but it turned up no problem.

I got my bike from Evans Cycles website - because that is who my employer uses for Bike2Work. They were pretty good actually. I had to cheat and look at the bikes in local shops. I felt a bit sneaky as I knew I couldn't buy from them but I will use one for servicing so that made me feel a bit better, plus I got my lights from them.

Swanky new goggles from jon_g on this forum [:D] Thanks again!

My bike computer is from that well known triathlon supplier, Marks & Spencer. My parents got it me (unprompted) for Christmas. No cadence monitor though so I will at some point get another one.

The frightening thing is how much "stuff" you can buy. I'm still training in mostly regular sports gear I had before getting into tri last year. I currently do not own a heart-rate monitor, a turbo trainer, a swim cap, any spare wheels, any proper bike clothing, CO2 cannisters, clipless pedals and bike shoes, any compression clothing, a swimming lengths counter, elastic laces or a number belt.

There is a little local tri shop near me. I have so far refused to go in. Because I would buy many many things all at once!

• julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Jules, having just read your list, scarily we have at least one and usually more than one of all the items on it. It's a surprise that we both (and the cat) fit in the house! It's amazing how much just accumulates. And, trying to keep in line with the thread subject, I mostly blame Wiggle.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    juleso wrote:

Jules, having just read your list, scarily we have at least one and usually more than one of all the items on it. It's a surprise that we both (and the cat) fit in the house! It's amazing how much just accumulates. And, trying to keep in line with the thread subject, I mostly blame Wiggle.

Sorry to go off topic but I agree! My bike lives in the utility room. It's a small room and you can only open the cupboards and tumble dryer half-way open when it's in there. But there was no way it was living outside like my old bike did (notice how I'm writing as if it's alive?!). I'm currently pondering the best place to keep the wetsuit.
  • You should store your wetsuit in your wardrobe where its away from direct sunlight and dry
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    The wetsuit? Singular? Pah...call yourself a triahlete?

Sad to say I too have more than one on that list....& still looking for more to buy.
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    If you can hang the wetsuit on the back of a door it can be useful for motivation purposes, or perhaps to steer you away from the biscuits. Actually.....perhaps hung close to the fridge. That could work. Man, don't fold it up; ours has really thinned where the creases were.
  • Running - Runners Need in Holborn. Great place.

Cycling - (I wish I had gone to) Condor on the Grey's Inn Road, nr. King's Cross

Swimming - Anywhere that sells Speedos :p
  • Mostly from wiggle - always turns up quickly and I'm now a platinum member so I get a bigger discount (worryingly, that means I spent more than £500 at wiggle last year, though most of that was on a heart rate monitor with GPS). Have also got stuff from the triexercise website - also v.quick and friendly. I got my bike from the SBR shop in Fulham and was very happy with the service, though a lot of guys on this forum have complained about their website service.

Before you buy, it's always worth checking the voucher discount codes websites (just put "voucher codes" into google). They'll generally get you a bit more off - e.g. £5 off at wiggle

• MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    One for the Midlanders...

Warwick Sports (Warwick) for running kit

Mike Vaughan Cycles (Kenilworth) for bike gear & turbo

Tri 1st (Birmingham) - got my tri-suit from there plus other tri-specific bits & bobs (lock laces, number belt)

Other than that I mainly use Wiggle because of competitive prices & good quality service. Have used PBK on the odd occasion and haven't had any hassle with them either.
  • trudgertrudger Posts: 61
    Wiggle always first point of call.

But I still compare prices with;

Bike - Cycle Xpress, Chain Reaction, Ribble cycles, ALDI

Swim - Swimshop, SBR, allens of kingsbury (birmingham).

Run - Bourne Sports (Stoke)

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Are there any scottish peeps on this forum???

I use my local bike shop, although I'm leaning away from him and going to evans cycles....

Only thing missing is is a tri-suit/wet suit!!