Home Chat General Chat

30-45 mins work out in the gym Ð any ideas of a plan?

I frequently get odd amounts of time went I could squeeze a mini work out in the gym, often 30 mins at lunch and 45-60mins in the evening after work before council meetings..

Does anyone have any ideas of mini programs what would compliment my Tri training? Perhaps something like additional leg strength/stamina work on the stepper or mini brick sessions etc..etc..

As I have a quite a good plan for the basic disciplines I’m looking for bonus training sessions.

Thanks

Scott

Comments

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    If you're looking for a quick gym workout then one suggeston would be a strong aerobic or interval session on the rowing machine: good back muscle workout to stop your shoulders moving forwards from all the swimming, good leg workout, good core stability workout (important for every discipline) and a damned fine aerobic workout too.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    An hour is plenty..40 mins best in my opinion. I would always work on core stability & flexibility when I have gym time, THE most negelected & potentially important areas for athletes in general. For more stuff than you can shake a stick at...Functional Training for Sport

http:

//www.amazon.co.uk/Functional-Training-Sports-Superior-Conditioning/dp/073604681X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1231844559&sr=1-1s..

Marvellous book.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Hi Scott,

A good full body workout, incorporating core, would be best.

Personally I mainly try and do compound moves (working more than one muscle group) and ones in which you have to use your core to stabilise the rest of your body.

Something along the lines of squats, lunges, bench press, bent-over row and bent-arm pull downs would be a good start. Throw in some planks and maybe russian twists at the end, although your core will get a good workout from both squats and lunges in particular.

I go low weight high reps to build endurance (two or three sets of 30 reps), before entering a strength building phase (ie upping the weight and lowering the reps).

• nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    I would go for intervals (fartlek) in that short a space of time. It's an easy way to get a quantity of hard work in in a short space of time.

Doesn't need to be in the gym either.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Get on the ergometer (rowing machine) do intervals do steady state do whatever. That machine was designed by the devil and built in hell!

Standard erg tests 5000 M and 2000 M.

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    That machine was designed by the devil and built in hell!

Amen, Father treefrog. My physio has been encouraging me to pain, pain and more pain on the damned ergo to try to even out my shoulder imbalance. I hate him, I hate the machine, I hate everything to do with them and I hate myself now for mentioning it in my earlier post.

The only thing for it is to get to the gym early tomorrow a.m. and try to row so hard I break the damned thing.[:D]
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    i love rowing. 30 mins and my fave is 1 hour.

1 hour = 14450m

30 mins = 7602m

500 Metres = 1:35.4
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    We used to do 9 minutes of hell on the ergo (rower) for anaerobic training, have a nice warm up, then do 1 minute sprints flat out, 1 minute rest.

It hurts!
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I've been thinking about this and to become a lunchtime legend the session needs to be effective and comprehensive with a minimum of prepration fuss. The ergo is perfect; you get into the boathouse/gym, get kitted out, climb onto the machine and hit it then get off change and back to work. No bad weather to hold you up, little chance of injury, minimal muckiness, no trapsing around showers as in most pools. Just a good honest workout with all the data right there in your face - nowhere to hide, and you feel great afterwards.

I used to do a 10kM lunchtime session on rather than actually scull because there was too much fuss preparing to get the boat out - opening doors, checking water, checking oars, trestles etc etc. The ergo IS the answer, pity its so hard!

• agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Pity all rowers come to hate the ergo too, have to say I don't miss those days

"Right boys, afraid the wind is to high to get on the water, we'll do an erg together. 90 minutes should do it, and try and keep youre split below 2:00....yes you too lightweights..."
  • deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    my advice is don't go to the gym in January - absolute nightmare finding free equipment at the minute because of all the New Years resolutions - hopefully Feb will be better
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595

If you don't already use an ergo, try to get a coached session or at least get gym staff to show you how.

It's really important to learn to use it, or you will just shoot backwards and forwards waving your arms around and not doing any work, like most of the punters you see in gyms...!