Home Chat General Chat

nike plus/google maps accuracy

Hi all!

Sorry I haven't been answering on many threads recently, but I've been very busy!

I have a quick question

Did a route the other night, as I am completely training by pace now having the accurate pace is very important!

google maps said it was 3.05 miles, nike plus says it 3.24, which over this short distance is a big difference and means I could be training at all the wrong paces! my rate of perceived exertion would seem to suggest it was the 3.24 as it felt faster than the speed worked out by the 3.05 with the time.

Now, is this because of the course being a bit hilly? or is my nike plus just inaccurate and i need to buy a GPS, will this be more accurate with outright speed on hilly courses?

Tom

Comments

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    I use this one Tommi: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

I find it is very accurate, I tested it in the beginning by riding set out courses by bike.

Hope this helps!

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Tommtri

I use mapmyrun.co.uk.

is seems pretty spot on and will do the calculations for you.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Blinkybaz wrote:

Tommtri

I use mapmyrun.co.uk.

is seems pretty spot on and will do the calculations for you.

I like map my run. It does depend on how dilligent you are at plotting the route accurately I guess.

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    A mate of mine had (has) a Nike gps thing - he had it attatched to his shoe and had to calibrate it on a proper track. Anyway it was not accurate.

The only one that I have head good reports on is the Garmain one but to be honest it's so big that it looks cumbersome and heavy you ask yourself is it orth it. Mapping skills in geography class

• GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Not sure on the answer for you but I also use http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ and have measured using the bike computer and in my car and find it very acurate. So maybe do the route on this and see what it comes up as.
  • Brok999Brok999 Posts: 10
    In my opinion you can't beat a garmin, i use the 305 and have been for about 3 years. Strap it to the handlebars for bike sessions and always wear it for runs, yeah its a bit chunky but you soon get use to it. You could say i've become a bit of a slave to it, but it works for me.

When you get home download it onto SportTracks and it'll plot your route onto googlemaps give all your training zone graphs, pace graphs, cadence graphs..........its all about the graphs.

hope this helps

• BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    Alla waste of money in my opinion.

Just get a gps nokia phone iwth nokia maps on it for free when you nect upgrade.

speed, average speed, altitude, distance.. auto plot onto google earth... take picture on your run and it geotags it... and if you get lost you can use the voices guided navigation to find your way home... all for "free"

I am soooo smug
  • i agree with anyone who has said use gmaps pedometer.

espeically as you can set it to route automatically, i.e double click on start then double click somewhere else and it suggests the paths to run on. simple.

I really want a garmin 305 but most of the computer side of it is only windows compatible[:@]
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    thanks for the responses guys, I am looking at the garmin at the mo, I have a mac though so the computer compatibility is a bit of an issue!

• BARNY wrote:
    Just get a gps nokia phone iwth nokia maps on it for free when you nect upgrade.

speed, average speed, altitude, distance.. auto plot onto google earth... take picture on your run and it geotags it... and if you get lost you can use the voices guided navigation to find your way home... all for "free"

BARNY, try Nokia's Sport Tracker with your phone. It's excellent. Gives you geeky graphs, charts and tells you what song you were listening to a points along the route.

http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/main/index.do