Home Chat General Chat

MTB pedals and cleats

any thoughts on MTB XC/Xterra/duathlon using cleated pedals... somethiung like SPDs?

Would logically give better pedalling etc, but am concerned that the nature of off road cycling may not lend itself to having to clip out in times of "emergency" on a trail etc :-)

If pedals and cleats are not suitable for these reasons what do people use to stop their feet sliding everywhere on the "open" pedals?

cheers

didds

Comments

• moobsmoobs Posts: 14
    Ive been MTB'n for 10+ years now and have always used clipless pedals. SPD's on and MTB give you much more control, just remember to practice clipping in and out. It will soon become second nature and you will wonder what you did before SPD's came along.

• I use Shimano SPD's and have the setting on loose so I still have the benefit of being clipped in on climbs etc but can easily unclip in case of emergency!! Don't see people with clip in pedals like Look or Time, most people use SPDs or Crank Brother eggbeaters-they seem really popular!

Hope this helps!
  • Hi Didds

I've been using crankbros candy c's for a while now, dirt cheap, mud proof (well, almost) and easy to clip in/out.

I also use the same pedals and mtb shoes on my tri bike, always laugh when I see peple trying to clip into one sided road pedals.......plus, I can walk wearing my mtb shoes!

Once you try clipless, there's no turning back.....
  • al_fordal_ford Posts: 119
    SPD's for me. I find they increase your control and you can really power up the hills. After a few falls you soon find they are easy to get out of.

if you're purely downhill then look at platform spd's.
  • trevtritrevtri Posts: 39
    have been mountain biking for 20 years but only went to platform spd early 2008 but would not go back more power more control far less likeley to come of the bike and anticipation is everything you will not regret the move.