Home Chat General Chat

Zipp 1080

Any one got these?

I'm thinking about investing in these as my 1st and will be my only aero wheels.

anyone know how they will perform in cross winds?? any negatives??

cheers

Comments

• THE YEOTHE YEO Posts: 20
    they are supposed to be the nuts - im lucky enough to have a range of zipps, personally in windy-ish conditions i go for 404 front and 808 back - (808 is slightly shallower than the newer 1080). The disc is great, but if you are feather weight and it's windy - you could end up as an extra in the wizard of Oz. So a set of 606 - which is the above combo is a great all rounder and you won't have to take spare wheels to races just in case the wind picks up.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Anything I've heard about them is very positive, although I dare say their depth may be problematic in cross winds. Maybe a 404 on the front and a sub9 or 1080 on the rear?

If you get them please report back

• agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    808s seem to be the ideal wheels that everyone raves about as a compromise between aerodynamics and handling in cross winds

1080s arent the wheels you really want to take to Hawii, from the pics of the pros, dont think anyone used anything above a 404, so the recommendation for the 606s seems spot on!
  • EdstgEdstg Posts: 83

It really depends what sort of races you are going to do. I've just been training in lanzarote where the wind really blows. i had an 808 on the back and a jet 50 on the front and it got a bit hairy in some cross winds, i think if i had a pair of 1080's it would have been unrideable.

• TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    Hey,

cheers for the input,

I'm a heavier athlete,(6'1'') weighing in at 13 stone ish, with me being heavier does that cause complications on the strength of wheel? Are they designed for lighter athletes?

cheers
  • THE YEOTHE YEO Posts: 20
    I'm 6' 2" and 12 1/2 stone, zipps are very strong - your weight isn't an issue, if anything, in windy conditions it will give you more stability compared to the lighter chaps.