Home Chat General Chat

rowing

Hi

this is probally the wrong forum but i like ye here[:D] and don't have time to join other forums

i read some of the replys to '30-45 min in gym' and was very impresed with the rowing times posted i had noticed before that there are quite a few ex/current rowers on this forum.

i row in the summer with a club but we don't have proper training or great equiptment and i was hoping to improve, at the moment i find rowing much faster than 2min/500meters impossible to keep up.[:'(]

any advice?

also do you find rowing improves/makes your arms stronger for swimming?

Comments

• go onto concept2 indoor rowing site.It is a fantastic site good luck.[;)][:D]
  • Yes I think there are quite a few of us, including an ex GB international I think - so i'm sure he could help you out more than most.

I think one of the reasons why rowers find the sport enticing is that decent rowing training lots of transferable fitness. Ie all the weights are geared around aerobic fitness and large multi muscle groups, ergos/rowing is all about lats and quads which help for swimming/cycling respectively and then most incorporate run training as well. So all in all its quite an easy jump to make. I did the UK 70.3 last June with minimal cycle training and still posted a very respectable bike time despite being a big guy and the hills - I thank all days and months spent rowing!

As the above post mentions, the concept site is a wealth of info. I've followed both there Marathon training programme (2:52 in the end, that was a fun 6 months training and a long bloody way!). Also just finishe their 2k training programme which I did in 16 weeks for the indoors before throwing myself into Ironman training this Jan, ended up with a 6:14 which again I was pleased with.

So I would recommend trying one of their training programmes as they are nice and adaptable. Basically there aren't many tricks to ergoing/rowing - its all down to the time you spend doing it. You ergo every day - you will get fitter!

Conversely, the reason I think lots of rowers also move to Triathlon is it takes the same mental strength and long endurance nature of rowing (training as opposed to racing). The big advantage though is that it doesn't involve hanging around at a boathouse for 30 mins at 5:30am in the morning waiting for that 8th crew member or bloody cox to turn up! The second you leave your house you are training. Hence it fits alot easier into later life and different work schedules.

Just my thoughts!
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    A lot of the times on the ergo are down to technique, which is why us weedy lightweights can go to the gym and tap in along gently at the same pace as a huge body builder thrashing about. It is 80% leg work, you spend your whole life wandering around on your legs, if you tried doing a 2k just your arms at the pace you can with your legs, its not gonna happen! make sure you have a strong surge with the legs with a strong back to transfer the power, and loose shoulders and straight arms, as if they were a piece on string. Lots of good stuff on technique on the concept 2 site
  • thanks for that guys gonna check out the concept2 site tomorrow bit late now-time for bed[:)]
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Feel i should elaborate on the technique described above. Once you have finished with the leg drive, you then rock back from the hips and then draw the arms in. This position is known as back stops. You then push the arms away (and tap the hands down before if you want to do it properly) to what is imaginatively known as 'hands-away', then rock forward on the hips, keeping the back straight until you feel a pull in the hamstrings. Youre back should stay in the same position right up to the catch. Then break the knees and you should just be able to roll forward up the slide until the shins are vertical at 'front-stops' without pulling yourself up with youre feet (leaving your feet un-strapped in is a good exercise to check this). Lift the hands slightly and you will be at the catch, ready to press with the legs again, and follow as in my previous post.

Basically concentrate on "arms, body, slide" for the recovery (the part where you roll-up to catch, and shouldnt be doing any work)

For the drive it is just the opposite of "Legs, body, arms"

Think that is all, sure the other rowers will correct any bits missing
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Have to agree that technique is all important. After being shown how to do it properly, my pace improved by 5 - 10 secs per 500 m, and the stroke rate dropped by 3 - 5 per minute. Felt easier too. Haven't managed to beat 7 mins yet for a 2,000m - but once I got over my leg injuries, I haven't done so much... but I really enjoy the rowing - apart from getting a numb bum - and the I can vouch for the transferable benefits. I did a 10k run... then just rowing and weights and no running because of injuries.. then another 10K run.. and got a PB. Which was nice. With a bit of padding and gloves, no injuries either!