Home Chat General Chat

Compression tights and cycling?

Hi, I'm thinking of buying some 2xu compression tights to use for running and cycling. When it comes to cycling does anyone wear compression tights over their normal bib shorts and if so how comfortable do you find this?

There are some parts of my body that I don't want compressed!

If I only got one pair of tights would it be more beneficial to wear them during a bike ride or afterwards?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• julesojuleso Posts: 279
    If compression tights are as tight as compression shorts (I assume that they are) I wonder if you'd fit anything under them.

I've got some '1000 mile' socks and they're great (actually, 2 pairs, one to run in, one for recovery) but tricky to get into. Also, one false move and I'm sure I'll smash a toe on the edge of the bath trying to get out of them after my run!
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    If youre getting tights for the bike, youre better of getting a set of bib tights, which are specifcally designed for cycling. You may find that with the compression tights, they will bunch up, especially at the back of the knee, as they are more geared towards running and recovery. Also, some bib tights will have some thermal lining to them to keep you warm in the cold weather
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    As above, I would save the tights for running, they allegdly combat fatigue by lessening muscle vibration & there is way less vibration on a bike than running, so add in the comfort factor & I would just run & recover in them. I have 2xu, Canterbury & Linebreak, prefer Linebreak, like 2XU & Canterbury are OK.
  • Dukey3dDukey3d Posts: 19
    Thanks for the replies. I think I'll probably just use the tights for running and recovery as you've suggested. However, I did see in the new 220 that the guy testing the Giant Defy 2 is wearing a pair of compression tights underneath his cycling shorts. Not sure how comfortable that is, but it might be an idea for more demanding bike sessions.
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    i wear my linebreak compression tights underneath my cycle shorts. get the benefits of compression and of the chamois. not had any problems with comfort doing this[:)]
  • I use compression tights for recovery only. However on cold days I have started using Linebreak compression calf supports which are great-keep your calves compressed nicely and no worrying about lack of comfort! [;)]
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    This is quite interesting.

Firstly compression kit should be worn next to the skin, so if you wear them cycling put your shorts on over them

Secondly I used to wear mine exclusively after completing long hard runs - they were (are) a great recovery aid.

Recently I have taken to wearing them running and on the bike. To be honest they were no different to normal running tights, and whilst not uncomfortable were not quite as comfortable as cycle specific tights.

I row in the 2xu's all the time and they're great!

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    But..cycle shorts are designed to be worn next to the skin eliminating seams/stitching rub.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    And we all have experinced that seem rub! Comando is the way foward!
  • Dukey3dDukey3d Posts: 19
    In the end I got a pair of 2XU compression tights. Wore them at the weekend for a bike ride underneath my cycling bibs and had no comfort problems at all. They felt great to be honest, the only issue being a little bunching behind the knees, which is probably to be expected as they're cut for running.

My legs didn't feel tired during of after the ride either, but I can't say whether that's specifically due to the tights or not.