Home Chat General Chat

Which Running Socks

GGBGGB Posts: 482
1000 mile ones all the way, cost about 8-9 pounds a pair, but its so worth it. I have 4 pairs, different ones for each type of condition/training, my favourites are the trail ones I think they are, they have an extra lining, which makes them really comfy!

Comments

• GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I have done some research on this (Using search function on here) but am still a little confused and know its down to personal choice but .....

What runing socks do you wear and which are the best - not too expensive ;)

• julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Ditto. 1000 Mile. I've got 2 pairs; you can get them from Wiggle.
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    Personally I run in just normal ankle socks - and never had a problem.

I bought a new pair of trainers a few months ago and got blisters, this was because of incorrect fit , not my socks - maybe 1000 mile sock may have save me but at least I now know that the trainers were wrong for me!.

Ankle socks - £5 for 3 pairs can't beat it!
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    My problem is socks falling down - or rather me worring that they are and pulling them up as I run - very distracting.

Currently I run in two pairs of ankle sports socks which feel quite tight and stop me fiddling with them quite so much. This will be rather hot in summer though wonder if compression socks might be better?

What do people do in races? Putting socks on in transition is annoying! I've had running without socks suggested to me but whenever I try I get blisters. Should I persevere?
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Have got 1000 miles and Xsocks. Prefer X socks for running in.
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Running without socks should be done up to olympic distance due to the time saved in transition. Anything above this is suicide and the time taken for putting your socks on will have no impact on a 4 hour + race.

The main thing to do is just to practice running without socks to get used to it. Start off with short runs and slowly build up to help harden the skin where you would be getting blisters. If you still find you are getting blisters you can try vaseline in your trainers where your feet rub, this should stop it
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    agent_ti wrote:

Running without socks should be done up to olympic distance due to the time saved in transition. Anything above this is suicide and the time taken for putting your socks on will have no impact on a 4 hour + race.

The main thing to do is just to practice running without socks to get used to it. Start off with short runs and slowly build up to help harden the skin where you would be getting blisters. If you still find you are getting blisters you can try vaseline in your trainers where your feet rub, this should stop it

I think I will try this when it gets a wee bit warmer. I think the problem last year was that I was a wuss and gave up at the first sign of a blister. Thanks.
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    Migrated from the "3 for £5" to Falke a few years ago and never looked back; well worth the extra money for all the bells and whistles. Just started using X-Socks Sky Runners after 200 bigged them up a few issues back and can't fault them either.

When the weather gets warmer I lose the socks to get my feet used to cycling / running sockless in races. Normally apply a bit of Compeed or Body Glide around my heel to help. They blister at first but harden up after a while - short term pain for long term (transition) gain!
  • HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    No socks when racing for me. This means checking out the inside of shoes when buying to minimise the things that rub.

Coat anything likely to rub (seams however small & edge of tongue in particular) with vaseline or similar. Wear them around the house to bed them in. Anywhere there is a bit of soreness then apply more vaseline to the shoe. Do this before training in them & on your first run take a pair of socks with you just in case. If in doubt more vaseline. I also coat around the heel & anywhere else the shoe is likely to snag when slipping them on in a race.

So far no blisters & faster T2s

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Another vote for 'Body Glide' from me. As well as lubricate your shoe it seems to make your skin more compliant and less likely to blister. Don't know if this is really true... just what I have observed. Vaseline always feels like it can get a bit grippy when water or sweat start to get to it.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    For me, 1000 mile compression socks, with a pair of hilly cushioning socks on top of those (these are very low ankle socks). Compression to hold the calves together, cushioning to stop them hurting so much.

The low ankle socks don't peek out above the shoes - which stops them getting wet from rain/puddles etc which is great as they can hold a lot of water. The compression socks are so tight that they don't pick up moisture. I wouldn't win a fashion contest, but don't care!

It's a combination that works - but I am a great such for technical clothing and will trying anything new that I see advertised!!
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    thanks for the replies :D - food for thought, think I need socks for my running at the moment until I get used to it - may well try no socks nearer my first triathlon.