Home Chat General Chat

Refuelling on a sprint?

Sounds like a perfect plan for a genuine sprint distance tri (750/20k/5k).

I often do races in a local 'sprint' series that have some odd distances: always 400m swim, bike is anywhere from 20k to 40k, run is 5-10k. For the shorter ones of these I go with the above plan, but if I'm expecting to be out there for more than about 90 minutes then I'll have my usual lucozade sport on the bike, and another bottle to swill from in transition.

This is pretty much my olympic distance nutrition plan, although I'll often take an extra bottle on the bike and (as per treefrog's comments elsewhere) might dilute the sports drink a little if conditions are hot.

Personally speaking, I've tried gels and decided I can't be arsed. First you have to fight to open the damned things, then you get gunk all over your hands and face, then you have to drink the right amount of water to dilute it anyway. I'd rather have it all premixed at the right strength in the bottle.

Comments

• FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Alright everyone!

My question is, do people feel its necessary to take gels and the like on a sprint distance? I'm a bit of an old school type... Big breakfast before and a bottle of water on the way round followed by a roast dinner and a guiness for afterwards.

Be interested to hear anyone elses take on this.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    My plan is an energy drink in the bike bottle. The sprint race I have lined up in May has four laps to the run and they have a drink station with water and energy drink so four chances to top up there.

I'm sure your suggestion of just water would be fine Flavadave.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Have you considered diluted fruit juice in the bottle and an rnrtgy dtink in transition?