Home Chat General Chat

Turbo tyres dilemma

So I've got myself the bike I wanted (Kiron Scandium) and a turbo trainer to use for the winter all ready to get some decent training in on the bike I'll be racing on.

However, first session and after 10 mins I've got a lovely black mark where the tyre is rubbing itself off. Looking at it they'll probably last about a week at this rate. Read some threads on the continental turbo tyres so considering investing in one for the back wheel. But then I can't use them outside and I really haven't got the patience to keep swapping my tyre over especially reading the threads on the problems some people have with fitting the continentals

Should I just go with my hybrid commuter on the turbo and keep my racing bike for dry days at the weekend? Oh the dilemma... And the ear ache I'm getting from the wife about having two bikes with one just gathering dust is more than I can bare.

Comments

• agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Depends on your budget really. If you can afford it, then get a dirt cheap rear wheel off ebay/crc/wiggle etc (make sure it isnt a fat rim like most cheap wheels), and a cheap cassette and just use that as your turbo wheel
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Makes sense thanks agent_tri. Reckon I'll go down this route.
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    I got a cheap shimano wheel for the the turbo tyre.... problem solved.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Dont bother getting ANOTHER wheel, you need to get a all-round tyre. I use Continental Gatorskins, I commute (2-3 times a week to london, 38 mile round trip) do a couple of turbo sessions a week and they last for ages. They have superb puncture protection and are excellent in the wet, heck you could even race on them if you like as they have very little rolling resistance.

So no need to clutter your house/garage/shed with another wheel just get a decent set of tyres.

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Get the indoor trainer Continentals. They are designed for the job and they do the job perfectly. Ideally get them on another very cheap wheel and switch wheels on turbo days. If you have to change the tyre each time, its no problem as once the tyre is on and used it becomes "moulded" to your wheel and it will just slip (ish - depending on the wheel) on and off each time.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    It's just possible you could have saved my marriage MG. Reckon I can sneak a couple of new tyres on the bike easy...

Ideally I'd have gone down the spare wheel route but your suggestion makes sense for my wallet too. Nice one.
    I got this

cheap wheel

and stuck the continental tyre on.
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Looks like a good wheel, most of the cheap wheels (about 35-50 quid) that I've looked at in the shops have MASSIVE rims, designed for hybrids, not sure the 23 width tyre would actually stay on, let alone get it past the brakes... Anyone got any other suggestions for wheels?
  • grant1974grant1974 Posts: 262
    Has anyone got a link for those Continental Gatorskins tyres?
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    The cheap wheel referred to, Shimano WH-R500, is indeed cheap, and functions perfectly. I've got one on the back of my old (now 'winter') bike and it has done about a thousand miles without a squeak.

Should survive on a turbo, no probs.

Is this the tyre you're looking for: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Continental_Ultra_Gator_Duraskin_Folding_Tyre/5360028710/

{wiggle, of course}
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    What does the extra £6 get you if you buy the folding tyre over the bog-standard Ultra Gator Duraskin tyre?
    that wheel is spot on for a cheap wheel... works fine on my bike.
  • Just a quick note for others reading this. I originally started with a standard tyre on my back wheel whilst using the trainer and this wore away pretty quick. I was then recommended the Continental Trainer tyre (the Orange one), and after maybe 15 uses, I now have a very wide black line through the tyre where it has worn away. I'm guessing that I probably only have another 10 or so more uses out of it. Dont know whether this is normal but think I will be trying the Gatorskins next.
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    That doesn't seem right, i've been using mine twice a week for 3 months inclusing a 3 hour session and it's not been a problem?

G
  • Well unless I've got the turbo set up wrong!!!! Cant imagine how though. Only thing I can think of is to reduce the resistance but then there'd be no point being on the thing. Has your tyre worn away, Gharv?
    mines spot on. no wear away at all.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    ConspiracyTheory wrote:

Well unless I've got the turbo set up wrong!!!! Cant imagine how though. Only thing I can think of is to reduce the resistance but then there'd be no point being on the thing. Has your tyre worn away, Gharv?

Can you adjust the pressure that the flywheel presses up against you tyre?

Most turbos you can, I'm guessing that you've got the flywheel to heavy on your tyre. Increasing resistance wont affect your tyres life, just makes it harder to pedal against. These dedicated turbo tyres have a good wear life (harder compound, less complex construction) so I would say have a look at your turbo set-up. The gatorskins are very good as an all round tyre, but, check your turbo trainer first.

• Hi, I bought the Conti training tyre and it's been fine. Before that the Turbo chewed up a decent tyre, learn by experience eh!

I have also just bought some Gator Skins based on feedback on the web, have't got out on them yet but really looking forward to putting some miles on them. I wasn't sure about paying the extra for the folding tyres, I think weight is the main benefit - 280g for beaded and 230g for folding. As my bikes no lightweight I took the saving on the beaded tyre.

As MG said you might want to adjust the fywheel pressure on your turbo to save the tyre.

Happy turbo'ing.
  • OK. Have figured that my turbo trainer is knackered. Part of the plastic where the cable attaches to the flywheel housing is broken. I've tried to fix it and now something within the housing is pushing against the flywheel causing a high pitched squealing sound. So definitely had it!!!! Need a new one. Anyone got a cheap one for sale??????????