Home Chat General Chat

Training on shifts ?

As it says in the subject does anyone else work shifts ?

How do you fit in all your training ?

I work earlies, split shift, lates and nights over a 18 week shift pattern. I really struggle sometimes to fit in any training around work just wondering how everyone else copes..

Cheers

Comments

• 2 8 hour earlies

2 10 hour lates

2 10 hour nights followed by 4 day's off.........

So although not able to train at the same time of the day ( which isnt a bad thing ), i've still got plenty of time to train
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    In 1990 the world rowing championships were in Tasmania. Now back then sports science and lottery were primative but alive. Anyway GB rowing did not do acclimatisation, two guys on coach's advice decided to do their own version of it and got onto the water at 3.00am(?) to train. Guess what they won and dominated world rowing for the next 10 years!

The point is time of day does have a bearing on performance, so you should use it to your advantage. Most tri's start early so if you chose your competition according to your shifts you might be in with an advantage

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I love my shift work..at times..when it allows me training times.

I work on a 2 week rota Sun 8-3, Mon off, T, W & Th 2-10, Fr 7-2, Sat off....Sun off, M,T & W 7-2, Fr 2-10, Sat off.

So I either run or swim or both in the mornings on my lates, cycle to work teach 2 or 3 spin classes, long run weekend, long bike weekend, or cycle to work on earlies 3x gym workouts when I arrive, bike home, run to swim, run back, still teach 2or 3 spin classes & long run Sat.

So I can cycle traffic free(ish), swim in empty pools & run anywhere, & get paid to do my resistance/core work & spin.