Home Chat General Chat

Is 8 days enough??

bennybenny Posts: 1,314
Have my A-race on august 15th, an olympic distance organised by my club. All club members compete there, all other people I know who do tri compete in it. So, one can see why it's an A-race for all of us!

I'm planning on doing my first half distance though next year, which is actually one of my big goals for 2009 too. Problem is,the half distance is on 23Th August!

Is 8 days enough torecover from an all out olympic dist race to do that HIM-distance??

PS: just lookin at finishing the half distance, no time in mind.

Comments

• husslerhussler Posts: 237
    Hey Benny,

If you have done enough training pre season to cover the Middle distance, 8 days will be plenty of time to recover from a standard distance race.... If it were the other way around then possibly not...

You should recover fine, after your standard get a sports massage, do an easy spin on the bike say for 30 mins the following day of the race, have the next day off, then back into training again to keep you ticking over during the week....

Here is a rough guide to what my coach would set me in this instance:

Sunday - Standard race

Monday - Easy 30 spin on bike

Tuesday - day off

Wednesday - Swim set (i have specific sets so just do what you would normally use) Run 1hr easy

Thursday - Bike 90 mins moderate 10 min easy run around the block

Friday - Day off

Sat - swim 1k easy going concentrating on good tech. 20 min v.easy run

Sun - Middle Distance race

Obviously you can adjust it to what you work/race days etc...

Normally i have one easy day after a standard then back into full on training again if its longer than 7 days between races.... I dont really taper for standard races, definately dont taper for a sprint.... Middle i would taper for 7-8 days usually. But my tapers have been a good talking point between guys at our club as i train more in that than most people do when they are not tapering! lol... My coach pushes my very hard..

If your only going for a finish regardless of time at the middle then 8 days is more than enough providing you have put the miles in during winter etc.

Hope this helps a little? good luck!

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Benny. Was 8 days enough?
  • ardkeenardkeen Posts: 152
    No problem
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Still in doubt. Maybe if I just want to finish, then I should have enough with 8 days.

New problem though: anual TT around the treets where I live, lots of friend competing there .

Of course on the same day as the half distance.

Luxury problem; too much events

To be continued.
    Decided to go for it, along with two friends of mine. We always compete with each other very hard at races, especially in the A-race at august 15th. Now we'll race each other at 2 races just 8 days apart.

Oh my, 2009 will be so much fun!!!!!!!![8D]
    Got my ticket for the 70.3 distance. No way back now!

Have a darn good excuse now to tell the other half: I really NEED to train now![8D]
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Is it for Antwerp Benny?

I did it in 2008, great course you'll love it!

Antwerp is 150€ (yes , you have to pay the IM-label!).

The one I'm doing is 3 weeks later, has better bike course (you probably remember the crossroads problem in Antwerp) and is only 60€.

Antwerp is great, they say thisone will be even better.[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m5.gif[/image]
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Hey Benny, if all the club members compete, who marshalls your race?
    As usual; official marshalls from the VTDL( translated freely: Flemish Tri- and Duatlon League).

It is a real race, this year our race in Izegem (Izegem Triatlon Club, hence the ITC signature below in all my posts) counts as National Championship. The countries finest will be there (yes, I'm prepared to be humiliated[:D])
    Interesting, thanks.
    I was surprised by this kind of question, Jules.

Made me wonder!?

Is it done in another way in the UK? They have independent officials to guide the race, do they?
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    For most of the small tris in the UK, they are run and organised by whichever club is running it, and they organise marshalls, timing and everything else
    Benny, how big an event is your club's race?

The tri club I've just joined organises an OD tri for 500 entrants. All the marshalls (100+ people) are volunteer club members. I assume there must be a BTF person attending to oversee it all. Members are not meant to enter our own event without getting permission first, to ensure there are enough marshalls.

I don't know what happens at bigger events in the UK. Is tri just a more popular sport in Belgium?
    Don't think it is more or less popular here. There are lots of people who volunteer to help (they get some money, nothing much, food and drinks) for the road signalisation during race, helping you out the water. But otherwise than that, it's all officials. That's probably why we never have more than two different races at once(in one day) in different places here!?

BTW: the race is approx. olympic distance .(1.5k S, 40k B, 11k R).