Home Chat General Chat

Day of the Tri!

I haven't done a tri yet but have entered a couple this year so far... so this will be my debut season...

On the day of the tri what time do you need to be there? when do you normally have to check in the bike and register?

I know this may differ from tri to tri and that this info as such may be on the specific tri websites but I want to hear everyones experiences and advice from here... so if you have any advice Id appreciate it.

Samuel

Comments

• agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    Personally I like to get there a couple of hours before so I can register, get numbered up, rack my bike and get everything set early. Then its just a case of topping up fluids and energy levels, doing a bit of visulisation if you want etc. Its a good idea to walk through the transition areas so you can get your bearings and work out where your stuff will be when youre running around like a headless chicken. Then you can do your final checks, pump the tyres up, check you have everything in transition, make sure your bike is in the right gear to go off etc. Then with about half an hour to go, start putting your wetsuit on to get ready for the start. Then enjoy the race!
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    I'd agree about getting there a couple of hours early if you are registering on the day. I didn't leave enough time at one race last year and nearly missed my pool slot. i had to jump straight in the pool and go, which stressed me out and I did a poor swim.

If possible, if you can get there, register the day before. Some races will require this I think. This means you have fewer things to do on race day - still leave yourself plenty of time though.

Try to see where all the locations are in relation to each other, i.e. the registration, car park, T1 and T2, swim start etc. Part of my problem with the race I mentioned was that the pool and T1 were about half a mile from the car park and registration tent.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Yes to all.... arrive about 2 hours early, possibly 3 hours early for the really big events like London. I can't stand time pressure before a race, it really throws me out.

Get all the admin and racking sorted, walk through transition, then kick back with a bottle of your favourite sports drink and watch some of your fellow tri-ers (if there are different start waves). It's also worth giving yourself plenty of time to get your wetsuit exactly right and doing some stretches and warm-ups, particularly if you are not given access to the water before the start.

Here's another thing... if there are lots of racks and your bike is parked anonymously somewhere in the middle, then start from the entry to the rack and run down to your bike a few times using a short, tired "I've just done the swim" kind of stride. Do it a few times and count the strides... now you've got a nice easy way to at least get you in the rough area of your bike after the swim.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Or you could mark your space: flashy bike colours or drink bottle colours that catch the eye help a lot.

Same thing with coloured towels,......etc.

Spilling some talc powder 'by accident' behind your bike does wonders too.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I'm going to give a trade secret away here, tie a helium balloon to your bike.

Also prepare for the aftermath, have your going home kit ready and your favourite celebration food/comfort food handy

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Helium balloons and spilled talc work fine until everybody starts doing it. LOL [:D]

I'm now pondering the extreme disadvantages of my new stealth bike. The whole things is the deepest shade of red... ok, it's black. Wonder if I can leave one of those portable flashing lights from the roadworks on the seat?
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    One could also wear the same socks for 2 weeks and put them on your transition spot.

You'll get loads of space and you'll smell the bike's place yards away.[:D]
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Don't forget to tie your balloon with a bow, or bring scissors. 40K on the bike with a balloon attached might be interesting .

Last year when I raced it was hot. I had a red (yay!) Wales cap (to avoid sunstroke) in T2 which helped me find my spot.