Home Chat General Chat

Time off

After time off due to large injury over year what do you think the best way to get back into traininng ?

I am finding it hard to get back into and always wondering how i did it before have i just got lazy or has this happened to anyone else ?

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Is motavation the issue?

Maybe a target race might stir the Tri juices again?

Is there something in the back of your mind about the injury happening again?

Sorry about the questions but the answer might help yourself.

I hope you find the urge again soon.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    As Blinkybaz said set yourself targets..beating your previous times etc.

My motivation is to raise as much cash as I can while doing it.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Go out for an easy run or bike ride. A route that is interesting an enjoyable - not one of your old training routes where you could get depressed by comparing times. Place the emphasis on easy. The idea is to just enjoy it. Hopefully, that you will start to feel the benefits - mainly psychological - of doing something physical again. The next thing to try would be something around the lactate threshold - no more than 10 or 20 mins. A reasonably hard run/bike will induce, after you finish, the best feelings.

If you are still having difficulties, find someone, preferably a bit slower than yourself, to go out with.

Then set some easy goals - it will take a while to get back where you were - so just focus on base building - easy stuff - and lots of it. You want to avoid injuries again.

Treat yourself to a new bit of kit - shoes, bike bits, GPS navigator or whatever takes your fancy to give you an incentive to just "test it out".

Just don't expect to be able to do what you could before the layoff - you will just get disheartened. However, after a few weeks, you will rapidly start to get back to where you were - it takes less time to return to a level of fitness than it takes to get there for the first time!