Home Chat General Chat

Post training session recovery drink.

Whats better as a recovery drink after a training session, For Goodness Shakes or Nesquik with semi skimmed milk?

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I need to do some label reading....guessing nesquick may have more empty sugar calories, could be wrong.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I use high5 carb and protein during long exercise sessions, then a pint of milk and a banana at the end of all sessions! I think it works a treat. For goodness shakes are supposed to be ok from what I hear, but i think the milk banana combo is better for you and less than half the price!
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    there was something in 220 about this a few issues ago. If I remember correctly, there were some pro and con's, but I believe the outcome was: same effect, way cheaper for the choc milk.

I'd say go for choc milkor milk with banana or peanut butter bread.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I think that just milk is good enough. A banana for afters in you are feeling extravigant!
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Like Tommy I either go for the High 5 Carb/protein mix or Rego Total Recovery. Mix both with either milk or water.

I've tried the For Goodness Shakes and to be honest, for what they are, they're too pricey. And they have to be cold otherwise they're rank. Warm, sugary milk - not nice!
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I have been using the Forgoodnessshakes for the past week or so (Local Co-op selling them at half price) - I wouldn't pay full price for them though.

Tend to just drink milk after a workout.

Will be looking in to other forms of recovery drinks in the next few weeks though - got to be something reasonably proced out there.

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Usually water for me.

If the session is an aerobic one more than about 90 mins I'll have sports drink (Lucozade Sport is my tipple) during and afterwards for the sugar. Might sometimes have a slice of peanut butter on wholemeal if the old body is really saying "FEED ME!".

If there has been a big muscular component like swim sprints, hill runs, hard bike intervals or bike hill repeats or maybe a weights session in the gym then I'll go for some protein as well: in that case I use whey powder - usually 'Reflex Instant Whey' about 35g protein in a glass of semi skimmed with a slice of wholemeal bread and marmite, jam, or peanut butter. Mmmm.

After a really long early morning summer bike ride I like cold sparkling water and two poached eggs on wholemeal toast for brunch, maybe with some smoked salmon... oh, I'm dreaming now.
  • I mix my own. Far cheaper.

I get the Soya Protein mix from Holland & Barrett - it always seems to be on sale, mix it with a couple of tea spoons of Hot Chocolate powder, add 1/2 pint milk!

Voila!

I'd like to say I have a banana as well, but the kids keep eating them![:D]

I also buy their Carbo powder mix for post time trials and turbo sessions. Quite often 2 for 1.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    @Gunforhire. Is that soya protein stuff easy to mix? Does it have a taste liuke that apro milk stuff? I fancy trying it but cant stand the taste of soya at all!!!!!
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228

I try and get as much nutrition and recovery aid from my meals, usually go for high protein meals as my evening meals and start the day off with more Carb heavy meals. I also use BSN 'true mass' shake. I'm not sure if its the perfect supplement for triathletes though, its aimed at body builders wanting to gain weight. However I usually knock one into me before a work out mixed with milk and a banana, for energy and its muscle repairing qualities.

Again I'm not sure if its doing what I think its doing! I like it cause I get instant energy from the banana, hydration from the milk and muscles get protein to help them get stronger!

Anyone with greater knowledge on the subject, feel free to tell me I'm wrong!

don't know if this answers the original question very well, but hey!!!

cheers

Neil