Home Chat General Chat

Just a thought

What is a mile in running shoes worth in saddle?

Think this could get very complicated regarding fitness in each dicipline, effort, terrain etc etc

I suppose I answer my own question in a way by thinking 1 hr at 70% HRM in trainers is exactly the same as 1 hr @ 70 % in lycra, but what does this represent in distance?

Has anyone else thought of this?

If not I suppose i need to find a flat peice of road a heart rate monitor, a bike, and a pair of running shoes........... [:)]

G

Comments

• benjobenjo Posts: 14
    I don't have a HR moniter, but I always think that if you multiply your running distance by 4, you get the equivilant cycling distance (and visa versa.) My reasoning is that in triathlons, the cycling distance is roughly 4 times the running distance.

Because of coming from a running background, I always think in running miles (like it's my first language.) So if I do a 25m ride, I think of it as a 6 mile run.

No idea if this is true or not, or if I'm just talking cr@p, but that's how my mind works!

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    My reading of this post is how does the bike equate to running?

I was told by an old coach to work on 3 : 1 ratio, ie you have to cycle 3 times further than you run for the same effect.I do appreciate that this is a very general generalism

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    No idea on this one, but to hijack the thread & confuse us all...when I am idly hacking along on my bike (can you idly hack?), & the road surface changes from smooth recently laid tarmac to rough stone chip road, how much extra work am I doing to maintain warp speed?
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    4:1 doesn't sound right to me... that would equate a 40km/1 hr bike to a 10k/1hr run. I think the bike would require a lot more effort than the run... well, jog.

And to join in with Britspin's hijack... compare swimming in a 'fast' pool - deep, cool water, middle lane position, with swimming in a 1.2m hot dirty pool, stuck in the end lane next to the wall. How much more effort am I using?