Home Chat General Chat

Wimbleball - OMG not long now !!!!

Gulp.... Wimbleball is coming in a couple of days time ..... I'm not panicing, cool as a cucumber.

YIKES, YIKES, YIKES OK I'M PANICING !!!!

Any last minute advice most welcomed .......

Comments

• susiepsusiep Posts: 11
    yes I was panicking today, also feeling quite sort of sicky but met up with my running club and ran 9 miles and felt a lot better, more positive.

Will go to the lake tomorrow, early and do each discipline for 20mins and practice transition, all those different coloured bags, it's a lot to remember.

This is my first middle distance so I am extra nervous but I am going to keep busy this week and try not to fret about things.

I have done all the training on my schedule, so I must put my faith in that and hope for the best

I will be a lot calmer once I know what the weather will be like

Good luck, you are not alone
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    good luck to both of you ... I have another few months before i tackle helvellyn & try not to think to much about it other than its just another race (splutter) anyhow go show us on here how its done & remember .............. there is a difference between going long and going mad albeit a subtle difference

madnurse
  • DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    Respect to all who aim to compete at Wimbleball. remember: you've done the training now you just have to suffer the pain!!! Let us know how you get on and then we can decide whether we are mad enough to contemplate the same next year!!

You will succeed.

David
  • pacrfishpacrfish Posts: 266
    It's that ball of fear in the pit of the stomach .... can't believe it's so close.

Well done susiep if you've done all your training. I haven't, and I've just had a lousy 2 weeks. Did a 10 mile run yesterday and felt dreadful. Got sore legs, sore heels (that's a new one for me) and a blister.

When are you all going down? Is anyone going to manage one of the practice swims?

This seemed a good idea in November!
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    I'm thinking of going down as a spectator for the day so I may see some of you down there. I'll be the handsome gent on crutches.
  • RobRob Posts: 209
    Hi All, where has the six months gone since I started training for this?! I've been tapering down since last Weds; in fact I haven't done anything since last Weds, although I'll probably do a swim tomorrow & a light run/bike later this week. I'll be chomping at the bit come Sunday.

I'm going down Sat morning, aim to arrive mid/late morning. I'll need the rest of Sat to sort out the bag thing. Maybe a few of us can meet up if we get a chance? I'll e-mail you with my mob. no., although reception down there is hit & miss. Have checked the weather up to Sat for Tiverton & it's sunny all the way & around 24 degC(!).

Good luck to everyone who is doing it, whether it's your first tri, first middle distance like me, or your twenty first.

Don't forget your sunscreen. One tube for your blue bag & one tube for your red bag................
  • Hi

I'm doing this on Sunday. I also thought it seemed a good idea in November! It's my first middle distance.

Feeling more positive after swimming the full distance last night within the cut off (by quite a bit which surprised me). Just need to do the same in the lake!

Easy run tonight and maybe short easy cycle tomorrow then that's it.

Sort of looking forward to it but getting nervous!
    going to Wimbleball Thursday morning to settle in and take in the atmosphere

So, so glad weather forecast is for nice warm conditions, it will make getting into the lake a lot easier

Have been warned that the lake is extra cold so maybe the neoprene hat will be needed, yuk

Will be there for swim on Fri to see

I am finding it hard to eat, lost appetite, but been advised to eat loads

If it is very warm then electrolyte drinks will be needed

Is it legal to use MP3 player on run, I will need the motivation

Take care, see you all soon
  • RobRob Posts: 209
    Susiep, not sure about the MP3 on the run. Definitely a no-no for the bike.

Does anyone know where on the bike course the aid stations are?
    just got my race number and seen the forecast for Sunday and it's 25 degrees-yippee

Just the job, love it hot

I train in the afternoons all year round and prefere warm conditions BUT are these famous last words or what

will probably suffer same as everyone

but at least the lake will be more inviting

and the roads will be dry and the paths round the lake ok

and the spectarors will be happy-nice day out for them won't have to worry about them

My twin daughters are coming to watch and they will enjoy a picnic

Happy days, almost feeling confident at last
    Hi Susiep. I'm also going down on Thu, and hoping to swim Fri am. I'm not worried about the water temp - swam in the North Sea last week and that was COLD - but I get sunstroke easily so a sunny 25 degrees is my idea of hell.

Little Les - I'm dreading those cut-off times! I should be 10 mins under on the swim if all goes Ok but my battle will be on the bike - those hills!!!

Rob - will email you my mobile, just in case it works ...

• rollorollo Posts: 25
    Did my last brick workout last night, now into taking it easy and eating lots of Carbs and drinking LOADS of water. (See page 59 of 220 Mag).

When I was at Wimbleball last month, my cell phone (Orange) did not work. I'm buying some walkie-talkies tomorrow to be able to communicate with family after the race and during the weekend.
    Walkie-talkies - what a good idea. Think we've got some hanging around somewhere too.
    go pat go pat go pat

you'll kick ass girl ... we know you is a tri babe with bottle ... god knows we need people with attitude in this sport

be thinking of you this weekend

i will donate again when you finish

madnurse [;)]
    just seen another forecast for scattered showers on Sun

all adding to the anticipation

o2 network is fine

Feeling tired and sleepy today.

• loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    Good luck guys....

All the training is done all that you have left to do is event its self...and judging by the training that has been going on the event won't be as bad as the pre race nerves are making you think it will be...

• The weather forecast I've seen says 26 degrees for Dulverton on Saturday (BBC web). Is it likely to change a lot Sunday? Also the weather.co.uk site says hot Sunday.

Pacrfish - the cut off times scare me!
    Had the bike checked yesterday, went out for a 5 mile test ride this morning and got a puncture! Took me 15 minutes to fix, so if that happens on Sunday I'll be well past the cut-off times .... eeeek.

Little Les - everyone seems really competent, so I'm just pleased I won't be the only one with a worried eye on the time.

Am really praying for cooler weather and no wind!!

Vodaphone doesn't work at Wimbleball either.

• fatmattfatmatt Posts: 145
    maybe this will help a few of you with doubts,

i did my first middle distance race at weymouth last week, and like most of you i was really worried and nervous beforehand, my aims were to just get round without walking and if i beat 6 hours that was a bonus,

it was a really hot day so i put extra suncream at transition and bought extra water bottles for the bike,

once i'd got over the initial shock of the water temp i actually started to enjoy myself, coming out of the water in the first handful, i just decided to walk through transition, taking a drink and slapping the cream on, the bike was fine too, again taking time through t2 then i just plodded round the run, nothing brilliant but i actually felt fine and was surprised that i wasn't crawling across the line, what i'm trying to say is that while it was definitely a challenge, the distances are definitely achievable (though i don't fancy the full one yet) and anyone who has put the training in will be fine and might even enjoy the day,

good luck

fatmatt
    pat - hi !!!!

how you doing punctures ?? do you fix them or simply swap the inner tube for a new one .. (the 2nd option has to be a consideration - esp when time is factor) but hey i just fix heads for a living not punctures - unless i start carrying a puncture repair kit on the ward & whack a bit of glue n rubber on instead of medication and counsel

ho hum

Madnurse
    Thank you fatman

Those words of encouragement mean a lot, especially from someone who has been through it and survived. Well done.

As for the cut off times, it is down to the referee and if you look good to run then I have been reassured there will be no problem. There are bound to be some close calls but they better not try to stop me from running[:@][:@][:@]

Does anyone know of anyone who was stopped from continuing.

We have until 12noon to get back off the bike and I for one will be later than that because of the hills slowing me down.

So don't worry, we are all in it together
    madnurse and susiep - thanks for making me feel better - I do feel a wimp but this is such a big thing for me. My best oly time is only 3:05 so I'm a bit of a slowcoach in all disciplines.

mad - I changed the inner tube completely. Back wheel of course, and I got in a bit of a mess putting the chain back on. My puncture was on the cycle lane beside the A50 dual carriageway, very, very noisy and busy. I couldn't hear the air going in when I was trying to pump it up again - hadn't realised how much I rely on listening in this situation. Two workmen in a truck stopped, and backed right past within 2 feet of me but didn't even ask if I was OK. Throught Christian thoughts and refrained from wishing a puncture on them too!!

mad - I fix computers for a living, but I've very limited mechanical skills. Software I can do - hardware is a different story!

susiep - I'll look out for you on Fri am at the lake - there can't be that many of us there!
  • rollorollo Posts: 25
    thanks fatmatt ...... that helped.......