Home Chat General Chat

turbo question

hi guys

have just got a turbo but it doesnt have a computer system with it is there any way of measuring distance travelled whilst on it??

cheers

clare

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    if you have a bike computer some can work with the sensor on the rear wheel so should work fine on the turbo. But most bike computers won't be able to do this as the distance from the rear wheel to the computer is too far.

So either get a bike computer thats compatible OR you do what I do which is attach the sensor on the rear wheel as you would on the front, detach the bike computer and either fix it to the top tube with the bracket if it work or tape, or just put it on a counter/table thats close to you turbo, provided its in range (normally 1-1.5m) it should work fine.
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    Garmin 305 works from wheel. Thats what I use on mine.
  • Hi Sfuller,

what accessories do I need to use my 305 in this fashion?

Scott
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    Scott,

You need the GSC10 Speed/Cadence Sensor, it comes with a magnet to put on the back wheel.

You will need to set your Garmin 305 wheel size. Go on the Garmin website or email them, they are very helpful.
  • cheers guys think wil go for the one gunforhire suggested !!
  • I should also state that I have ordered a cheap cadence computer to be delivered with my new turbo in the next couple of days:

Delphi Blackurn 4.0

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17273

I was intrested to learn how I could use my 305 indoors!! if only I had investigated first!!!
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    get a turbo friendly or turbo specific computer!
  • Treefrog, do you have particular computer that you know of, that is Turbo friendly?
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    gunforhire wrote:

Cheap option...

Cateye Cadence Computer £34

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Cateye_Strada_Cadence_Cycle_Computer/5360029333/

Hey Gunforhire,

is that wireless or not??

• Just looked into this....

here's the info on cateye computers.....

Strada - Standard wired without cadence - £25

Strada Cadence - Wired with cadence - £35

Strada wireless - wireless but no cadence! - £40

V2c - Wireless with cadence - £80-90

V3 - Wireless with cadence and heart rate! - £100-120

Got to say, i really wanted cadence but don't want wires, so have to go for the V2c but am sick of spending, spending, spending.....:(

May go for the wired version for now....

Unless anyone knows of an alternative brand that has a wireless cadence comp for less?
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    garyroberts wrote:
    Got to say, i really wanted cadence but don't want wires, so have to go for the V2c but am sick of spending, spending, spending.....:(

Same stuff here: cadence yes, wires no, cheap yes please.[:)]

(yes, I know expensive is faster)[:D]
  • benny wrote:
    ORIGINAL: gunforhire

Cheap option...

Cateye Cadence Computer £34

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Cateye_Strada_Cadence_Cycle_Computer/5360029333/

Hey Gunforhire,

is that wireless or not??

Unfortunately not.

Still good for the money though.

I have one[;)]

Cadence is ESSENTIAL!
  • I use a Cateye Astrale 8. Gives me Cadence, Distance and speed (and more), all off the back wheel. Good for Tri, Time trials etc. I use it on a Minoura Hypermag 1200.

It was easy to set up and works a treat! very happy! and for less than £30. (£23.47 from Cyclexpress)

Regards

Pigsy
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Reference cadence...absolutely free....cadence count by counting pedal revs same as you would laps in a pool, not every minute but every so often to well...check.....or as running post on cadence put specific bpm music on a keep to the beat.